-
Knoppix Terminal Server after Hard Disk Install
Hi,
I am planning to move from Windows to Linux in my office, and found Knoppix to be the easiest solution (no problem for printer, sanner, network etc...). The idea is to set up a terminal server, and then use only thin clients to access applicacions (that is office tools + Web + intranets aplications + printers).
PROBLEM: if I boot from CD and start term server and log from client, etc... all OK.
If I install on HardDisk, and try to do the same, it starts OK (get IP, start loading all..), but stops when it gets to loading the grafical interface:
ERROR:
Portmaster started
Try to mount CD on 192.168.1.107:/cdrom...OK
Can't NFSMount Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
I tried to reinstall serveral time, with different install programs (knx-hdinstall, knoppix-installer), with different hard disk particions sizes and formats (ext2/3, Reiser), with various network card setups,... and still gets to the same point.
I USE:
- 2 pentiums PC - network card Idemax Realtek8139
- Knoppix 3.3 Castellano (español)
- got the boot floppy from bootdisk522.dsk (tried with others)
ANY IDEA OF WHAT'S GOING WRONG?
Thanks in advance.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Based on other similar threads in this forum, the problem is that it's looking for the CDROM but it's not there. One possible fix is to put the CDROM in. Another, apparently, is to copy the CDROM files to /dev/cdrom/ (or something like that). Another, is to use the "poor man's install" (which essentially emulates the CDROM from a hard drive file).
In any case, the client is going to be running whatever's on the CDROM image, not the hard drive install files.
I'm working on my own diskless network boot solution, using clusterKnoppix. I'm still not clear on a lot of details, but I think my best solution will involve customizing/remastering with "poor man's install" to get what I want rather than using a traditional hard drive install.
-
Thanks.
But there must be a way to have it running in terminal server mode.
I have seen a demo based on Debian, but the guys there were not able to give me all the details about the client config.
I am OK with the "poor's man" install (copy of CD on hard disk) but I have 2 problems:
1) I have not been able to setup users accounts and config (with their own accounts, parameters, email config and etc...). Is there an easy way to do that?
2) Soft problem - you mentioned: how do I get extra soft I want on the server (Web server + PHP + databases, some applications etc...).
Thanks - Chris
-
Senior Member
registered user
What happens when you create a directory off of root named cdrom and copy the contents of the cdrom into that directory?
Similar Threads
-
By sunburnt in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM
-
By atl02wrx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-22-2005, 01:39 AM
-
By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 08:37 PM
-
By IsaacKuo in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
-
By rex in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 03:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$259.02

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00