Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Changing File Permissions In Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1

    Changing File Permissions In Knoppix

    I'm running knoppix from CD on a computer that previously had an early version of RedHat on it. I'm trying to recover some files off the hard drive so that we can get rid of this old beast however it tells me I don't have the permission required to open the files.

    I know that when you logged on as root on redhat you were able to access the files and I still have the previous root password. The version of redhat that was on the computer has got some problems and won't start anymore so I can't just log in there and transfer the files.

    I'm very new to linux and any suggestions on how to change the file permissions or to just work around it would be greatly appreciated.

    Jim

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    Get root

    type chown -R USERNAME.USERGROUP /directory/directory

    change USERNAME to your login or the name you want the permissions to.
    change USERGROUP to the group that the name resides in.

    Change the /directory to what directory you want to change.

    The -R means to recurse sub-directories. "This directory and all sub directories".
    Make sure there is a . period between the name and group.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Changing File Permissions In Knoppix

    --If you're running from CD, you have root consoles on Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru F4. I recommend running ' mc ' to copy/move files.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackaboo
    I'm running knoppix from CD on a computer that previously had an early version of RedHat on it. I'm trying to recover some files off the hard drive so that we can get rid of this old beast however it tells me I don't have the permission required to open the files.

    I know that when you logged on as root on redhat you were able to access the files and I still have the previous root password. The version of redhat that was on the computer has got some problems and won't start anymore so I can't just log in there and transfer the files.

    I'm very new to linux and any suggestions on how to change the file permissions or to just work around it would be greatly appreciated.

    Jim

Similar Threads

  1. changing permissions for floppy
    By jhastings in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
  2. changing permissions of /usr running liveCD
    By bernstine in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 09:29 AM
  3. Changing Drive Permissions
    By Frank362 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
  4. File permissions keep changing...
    By hhayes in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:58 PM
  5. Changing file permissions
    By bigbene in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99