Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: To "apt-get update" or not?, that is the question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    27

    To "apt-get update" or not?, that is the question

    I have done a hd-install of Knoppix v3.4 and everything is working just fine (in fact just perfectly), and I was wondering whether I should do an apt-get update periodically to keep things upto date.

    Since v3.4 is based upon Sid, which is unstable, isn't it potentially very dangerous to update (being a beginner)?

    After all, if it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

    What are the advantages/disadvantages of updating periodically?

    Thanks


    Tim

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    If you don't update, you'll potentially miss out on security patches.
    If you do update, you'll potentially break stuff. Normally, broken stuff gets fixed though.

    On balance, I'd update.

    --
    TimW

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: To "apt-get update" or not?, that is the quest

    Quote Originally Posted by timread
    I have done a hd-install of Knoppix v3.4 and everything is working just fine (in fact just perfectly), and I was wondering whether I should do an apt-get update periodically to keep things upto date.

    Since v3.4 is based upon Sid, which is unstable, isn't it potentially very dangerous to update (being a beginner)?

    After all, if it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

    What are the advantages/disadvantages of updating periodically?

    Thanks


    Tim
    You absolutely have to do apt-get update or apt won't work.
    I think what you meant is apt-get upgrade and yes do it. You can however edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and change /etc/apt/apt.conf and decicde what you'd like to upgrade to.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Good point mzilikazi,

    I noticed the mistake on the apt-get issue, and was thinking the same thing... You have to do a apt-get update, its the apt-get upgrade that could be a concern.

    I do the apt-get update, any time I want to install, or search, or packages that I may want to use/find, its the apt-get upgrade I don't do. (1) being I have only had bad luck with it, and (2) I am currently running v3.3, which is one "main" version behind what is current.

    If I did a apt-get upgrade at this time, I would be throwing in a whole host of possible problems in breaking pipes and dependancies. I would consider doing a apt-get upgrade is I knew I was current with what is currently out, its an easy way to keep yourself current, that way you don't get into where I am at...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. How to update "locate" database?
    By TheTempest in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:16 PM
  2. A "very" simple, and noob, question...
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$71.87



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99