-
Junior Member
registered user
Stupid question/protocol needed
What is GRUB and LILO?
I want to dual boot Windows XP and Linux using two hard disk drives. It seems that I need to partition my hda to have it contain boot files for both OSs and then partition hdb for Linux operations. Is there a clear, concise way to do this for a neophyte like myself? I have access to partitioning software as well as qtparted on Knoppix 3.4.
Being the idjit that I am, I installed Knoppix 3.4 on hdb without partitioning hda to boot it. Now when I run Windows XP, "my computer" shows no hdb. At start up, hdb is detected; Windows can't see it though.
Can anyone help me?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Stupid question/protocol needed

Originally Posted by
nicorelli
What is GRUB and LILO?
Both are boot loaders.
Being the idjit that I am, I installed Knoppix 3.4 on hdb without partitioning hda to boot it. Now when I run Windows XP, "my computer" shows no hdb. At start up, hdb is detected; Windows can't see it though.
Can anyone help me?
You don't need to do anything to hda except:
a) Edit ntldr to boot Linux
How? Beats me. 
OR
b) Install GRUB or LILO to boot both win & Linux.
Personally I would do this (assuming you installed linuxto hdb1):
Boot Knoppix
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1
chroot /mnt/hdb1
apt-get install grub
ctrl+d (to leave chroot)
grub-install /dev/hda --root-device=/mnt/hdb1
update-grub
reboot
enjoy!
-
Senior Member
registered user
this works for me (and oters).
you can use XP/NT/win2k... bootloader to start Linux. just write LILO to a floppy, make a "image" of the floppy-mbr put that image as a lable in C:\ BOOT.INI, mine looks like this.
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
C:\linux.ipl="LINUX"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
a quick guide with a few more details.
1) make lilo write to floppy, have this line in lilo.conf:
or do
2) make a image of the floppy-mbr:
Code:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd0/linux.ipl bs=512 count=1
this puts a file called linux.ipl on the floppy
3) put a copy of linux.ipl in C:\ ,
safest way is in windows and copying it from the floppy.
4) Modifiy C:\boot.ini -- add a line with:
Code:
C:\linux.ipl="Linux"
repeat 2) and 3) every time you run LILO.
Microsoft ntldr now believes you hae yet another windows installed. happy booting
if you want more details ask further.
Similar Threads
-
By crazygopedder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 02:36 AM
-
By Mavrious in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:49 AM
-
By lace99 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 02:25 PM
-
By spite in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 02:53 PM
-
By Coume in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99