Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: vt6200 laptop with screwed HD won't boot 3.4

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    vt6200 laptop with screwed HD won't boot 3.4

    Following damage in transit, my HP laptop has a suspected HD fault. Whether this has any bearing on why 3.4 (5-10-2004 release) doesn't boot I don't know.

    I'm attempting to make this into a terminal for my girlfriend. 3.3 seems to boot fine, but freezes after about 1/2 an hour.

    I'm downloading 17-5-2004 in the blind hope this'll solve the problem, but if it isn't, what can I do? I've tried simply removing the HD - but the laptop then refuses point blank to boot whatever I do. I don't really want to buy another HD for my laptop, if I did, then there would be no point running knoppix as she's a native windows user.

    Is it likely that knoppix is mounting the drive and crashing? Anything I can do? Anyone own a hpvt6200 who can tell me how to stop it searching for an HD on bootup? I've disabled it in the BIOS (I think)

    Thanks for any help...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    tru givig the nomount and noswap options at the boot: line.
    thet is:
    boot: knoppix26 nomount noswap
    then buy her a usb pendrive for storage and /home, or even better a usb dvd+rw drive (could be used as a 4G+ hdd).
    a new 30Ghdd would be cheaper though.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    Sounds like a sensible idea. I did get it to boot into knoppix yesterday, but only after I booted with nodma. As soon as I accessed the HD, it crashed.

    Thank god they've sorted the sound issue on that laptop! I used to have to mute the sound (I'm sure there was a more technical way of doing this, but I'm lazy as well as poor)

    She doesn't need anything nearly as techincal as a pen drive or DVDR - she has a floppy drive. As soon as I gave it to her she tried to access the net and check her emails. That's all she does. And type.

    I'll try what you suggested tonight. Hopefully it'll work every time. Can I edit any ini files so it does this automatically?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes if you remaster the cd.
    otoh you could get a secondhand hdd for 30€ or so. i have bought two 6Gb for 55€ and that included shipping. i have one 712M that you could have for shipping fee, it is not 100% (noisy) but sound afik. hmm, come to think of it, that is a 19mm (3/4") thick 2.5" hdd, not likely to fit anything made after 1996.

Similar Threads

  1. screwed up sudo
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM
  2. Am I screwed to wait?
    By Stealth870 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:35 AM
  3. Have I screwed-up apt-get?
    By Bob_Ullet in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 03:32 AM
  4. HD Installs: Have you screwed one up before?
    By jdong in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:16 AM
  5. I screwed up!!
    By WANDr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 10:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$155.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different picture

Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different

$29.99



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage

$99.00