Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: how to run with 32 MB RAM and a HDD

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    5
    Is there a way to create a swapfile mannually?


    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --You have to *try* some of the cheatcodes, to boot in 32Meg.

    boot: ' knoppix 2 ' == No X windows/KDE.
    boot: ' knoppix desktop=icewm ' == Ice windowmanager instead of KDE

    --Also make sure to create a swapfile or partition.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeelMan
    I also couldn't boot knoppix on a 32Mb RAM computer.
    When I press F2 at the boot prompt, it shows all the cheatcodes, then if I press the enter key, it initialises some stuff and it then says "Ready!". It freezes there.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I assume you don't have a working Linux install anywhere so get Toms root/boot disk http://www.toms.net/rb/
    Boot with it, run

    fdisk /dev/hda

    It's pretty easy to figure out from there.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    5
    Ok, thanx, I'll try it

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I have tried several other older computers recently and I am having mixed results getting knoppix to run from cd, on a Gateway2000 PII-266 w/ 80MB of RAM, it get to the point where it says OK booting kernel and hangs there indefinately. Strange thing is, that same computer will run a knoppix hd install that was done on another computer just fine. I should go back and try the failsafe and expert kernels and see what happens.

    I tried booting knoppix on a P-150 w/ 32 MB (a 1995 Gateway2000) and it wouldn't run without a hard disk, but once I put in a linux hd with a 128MB swap it booted into kde (very slowly of course).

    rock

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    I tried booting knoppix on a P-150 w/ 32 MB (a 1995 Gateway2000) and it wouldn't run without a hard disk, but once I put in a linux hd with a 128MB swap it booted into kde (very slowly of course).

    rock
    I have tried making a linux swap file for Knoppix but I only have 1 other machine to work with right now. IBM GL300-350MHz-64Mram and the only distro it's ever liked is MDK9.0 I've another IBM 166 w/80M ram to try out but it's my router for now. I need to get a 486. Haven't had a chance to try out 3.2 though - YET!

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470

    Off-Subject, But rick... what router software do you use?

    Off-Subject, but rickenbacherus, what router software have you been using?

    I've another IBM 166 w/80M ram to try out but it's my router for now. I need to get a 486.
    The P-150 w/ 32MB was my home router I was runnng e-smith 4.01 a gateway/server package I've been running for several years.

    rock

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    ' /usr/sbin/mkdosswapfile '

    The manual way:
    ' df '
    ' mount /mnt/hda1 -oremount,rw '
    ' dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hda1/knoppix.swp bs=2M count=64 ' == 128Meg swapfile
    ' mkswap /mnt/hda1/knoppix.swp '
    ' swapon /mnt/hda1/knoppix.swp '
    ' swapon -s '

    --Knoppix should autodetect and activate this swapfile from now on.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeelMan
    Is there a way to create a swapfile mannually?

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    GUYS, GUYS - RAM IS CHEAP!!!!

    --To everyone reading this thread:

    NOBODY should have to run with 32Meg RAM anymore. Unless you're running with ancient 72-pin SIMMS or a non-upgradable laptop, you can go out to Officemax and get 128Meg SDRAM for like $30-40. They even offer a money-back rebate. You can probably find it even cheaper online, but then you have to wait, and pay for shipping.

    --My ancient P100 came with 32Meg. My roomie upgraded the mommybopard and chip to P233MMX, and I upgraded it to 164Meg of RAM. It's my server now!

    --To quote Nike: Just Do It. Go out and buy the RAM. You won't regret it.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    I have tried several other older computers recently and I am having mixed results getting knoppix to run from cd, on a Gateway2000 PII-266 w/ 80MB of RAM, it get to the point where it says OK booting kernel and hangs there indefinately. Strange thing is, that same computer will run a knoppix hd install that was done on another computer just fine. I should go back and try the failsafe and expert kernels and see what happens.

    I tried booting knoppix on a P-150 w/ 32 MB (a 1995 Gateway2000) and it wouldn't run without a hard disk, but once I put in a linux hd with a 128MB swap it booted into kde (very slowly of course).

    rock

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Off-Subject, but rickenbacherus, what router software have you been using?
    Using Coyote. It's quite easy to set up. Unfortunately Dalantec decided not to host the Coyote FAQ anymore- wish I would have saved it somewhere. It was the best how-to for Coyote. The router has no keyboard, mouse or monitor-I just telnet in and check the logs from time to time. It's been up for almost 6 weeks now. That'll be a record for me.

    NOBODY should have to run with 32Meg RAM anymore
    cmon' Dave we don't all have so much dinero lying aroung you know.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    --To everyone reading this thread:

    NOBODY should have to run with 32Meg RAM anymore. Unless you're running with ancient 72-pin SIMMS or a non-upgradable laptop, you can go out to Officemax and get 128Meg SDRAM for like $30-40. They even offer a money-back rebate. You can probably find it even cheaper online, but then you have to wait, and pay for shipping.
    I totally agree with Dave, I wouldn't want to have to run Knoppix on my P-150 w/32MB of RAM (72-pin) and swap partition, I said it was slow running KDE, I really didn't do this thread justice when I said it was slow, it took more than 15 minutes for konqueror to come up with the cd's html index page, I never did see mozilla actually run, I gave up. The other problem with most systems of this age is not only a lack of memory but also video cards that only partially function with X-4.x.

    Similar to Dave's story about his server, I have taken several old cases, made sure the power supplies functioned OK, put in a new 80mm fan if necessary and then put in used AMD K2 processors on AT motherboards that I find used. Using other recycled parts that I find or have laying around, I have built 3 or 4 computers for a cash outlay of between 30 to 75 dollars (US) each. The $75 one is my office computer, it was built from a free case, a $20 combination of a motherboard, a K3-450 processor, and a Voodoo3 pci video card. I paid another $30 for a used 30GB hd and had to buy a $20 128MB stick of ram, and a $3 used cd-rom, it runs great, it has never crashed or locked up, I am running libranet 2.0 on it, no problems even through power outages at school.

    I do realize that in other parts of the world people are not obsessive consumers like we are in the US so finding good functioning used parts inexpensively may be a different story.

    rock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98