Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: how do I update the output of dpkg -l?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    31

    how do I update the output of dpkg -l?

    I have made quite a few modifications to my Knoppix Hard Drive install, yet dpkg -l still lists packages that I know I removed
    (I try apt-get remove and it tells me the package is already gone), how do I update the output of dpkg -l to reflect the removed packages?

    note: dpkg -l is the same as dpkg --list

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I don't know the answer to your question but I've noticed that when I use "apt-get --purge remove package" dpkg doesn't list it anymore. Omitting --purge, dpkg will list the package as removed with an "rc" instead of "ii" at the left. Usually when I know I don't want a package back I use --purge to remove all config files for it as they're not needed anymore.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, just tested with COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep -w rc and found one I hadn't purged.
    rc libmagick6.0.1 6.0.0.2-1 Image manipulation library (free version)
    Doing dpkg --purge libmagick6.0.1 removed all configuration files for it and it doesn't show anymore. A bit of work if you have a lot of packages removed but not purged so hopefully someone else knows a handier solution.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    I use a variant of dpkg to list installed files. I use:
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections
    to output a list of installed files. It tells me if some were removed but not purged; look for any line that says deinstall next to the package name.

    HTH,

    Durand

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: how do I update the output of dpkg -l?

    Quote Originally Posted by andymadigan
    I have made quite a few modifications to my Knoppix Hard Drive install, yet dpkg -l still lists packages that I know I removed
    (I try apt-get remove and it tells me the package is already gone), how do I update the output of dpkg -l to reflect the removed packages?

    note: dpkg -l is the same as dpkg --list
    Have you used dselect update to update the dpkg/dselect database with the changes?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: how do I update the output of dpkg -l?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Have you used dselect update to update the dpkg/dselect database with the changes?
    It reads installed files as well?
    I always use it instead of apt-get update but I thought dselect update only reads what's on the web and overwrites apts available list as a bonus.

Similar Threads

  1. S-video Output
    By wham in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 02:58 PM
  2. Svideo output
    By wham in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:55 AM
  3. apt-get / dpkg error: unable to access dpkg status area
    By Nitromethane1261 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. odd output from fdisk
    By Eradicator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 04:21 PM
  5. TV Output
    By thaselecta in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99