Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: HD upgrade

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5

    HD upgrade

    Good evening.

    My computer is set up with a bunch of partitions so that I can work with various distributions. My main one is Xandros. One is Knoppix. When I installed it, I had it boot with a diskette. Now with 3.4, I understand that the files needed are too big for a diskette. I would like to upgrade my Knoppix 3.3 to 3.4 but keep my present Xandros Lilo setup. I was wondering if this is possible and how to do the upgrade and keep my present lilo setup. Any help would be very much appreciated.

    Jim Macdonald
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    But of course it is. Just add an entry to lilo.conf for Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    3.4 Boot floppy

    The files for 3.4 are too big for a floppy disk?? That's news to me I have a HD install of 3.4 (Kanotix remaster) and use a boot floppy. Where did you get this information? Maybe the Kanotix remaster I use is an exception.

    - Dr U

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5
    Hi mzilikazi and Dr U

    Thanks for your responses. If Knoppix 3.4 will boot off a diskette, that would be great. Just in case it doesn't, here is my entry in lilo.conf for Knoppix.

    image=/disks/debian/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    label=Debian_GNU
    root=/dev/hdd2
    initrd=/disks/debian/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only

    Right now, this will not boot off the Xandros lilo menu without the diskette. Would either of you know how I would change this so that it would? Thanks again for your responses.

    Jim Macdonald

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    While running Xandros, did you try running the command "lilo" after making the entry to lilo.conf? When you run lilo, it should say added Debian_GNU, or give some error as to why it didn't add it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5
    Hi m_yates

    Thanks for your response. I did change the devices.inf to say Knoppix and it stayed for a while, but then just went back to the Debian_GNU for some reason. Knoppix creates the entry in lilo.conf from the devices.inf. Probably some update. I should go back in and fix it. Thanks.

    Jim

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7

    lilo?

    Hi, Jimmmac!

    Sorry, but I cannot help you with lilo I don't use it. I'm sure that the experts around here can give you the solution!! Good luck!

    - Dr U

Similar Threads

  1. 'apt-get upgrade' Help
    By wademago in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 06:35 AM
  2. Cant run apt-get upgrade . . . .
    By Everscythe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:38 AM
  3. Upgrade KDE?
    By Kowood in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 05:57 AM
  4. KDE 3.2 upgrade
    By anduril in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:09 AM
  5. problem using apt-get with upgrade/dist-upgrade
    By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition 3.0GHz Processor SR2PA LGA2011 10 Core CPU picture

Intel Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition 3.0GHz Processor SR2PA LGA2011 10 Core CPU

$162.95



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V picture

Intel Core i5-12400 Processor SRL4V

$115.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$150.00