Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installing drivers

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Installing drivers

    I downloaded drivers for my PCMCIA 802.11b card. It's a zip file containing C source files and headers, as well as various other files, many without extensions. How do I compile and install this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    a) Isn't there a README or INSTALL file?

    b)If not: Is there a 'Makefile' and a file named 'configure'?
    If yes, in most cases you install linux-sources via the magic three commands:
    Code:
    configure
    make
    (get root - doesn't count)
    su
    *****
    make install

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    'make' successfully compiles the driver (albeit with some warnings). 'make install' returns the following, however:
    Code:
    root@ttyp0[rtl8180_1.5]# make install
    cp rtl8180_24x.o /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8180_24x.o': Read-only file system
    make: *** [install] Error 1
    I'm guessing this is because that directory exists on the CD, right? I read somewhere (in one of the FAQs I believe) that with a persistent home I would be able to install certain things, so I wanted to try installing this so I could use the Internet under Knoppix. I guess that's not going to fly unless I do a HD install.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you should be able to insmod the module from your /home just go to the directory where you have the module and do insmod ./modulename

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Ati drivers (please help)
    By great_lengths in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
  2. Installing new drivers on CD-Boot
    By Cyrus in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 12:32 AM
  3. Installing modem drivers
    By Bilpo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 07:49 PM
  4. installing modem drivers?
    By kamikaze2112 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:23 AM
  5. installing Graphic-Drivers??
    By nimdaclaet in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00