Quote Originally Posted by lavaman094
is knx2hd what used to be "knx-hdinstall", or is it the abhorrent knoppix-installer under a different name?
"knx2hd" is just a symbolic link to the "knoppix-installer" script.

Quote Originally Posted by sligh
I cant see any advantage for QParted other than to confuse a new Linux user .
Since QTParted is a GUI-based clone of Partition Magic, it ought to be a heck of a lot easier for anyone to understand than cfdisk. (DOS fdisk sucks compared to Partition Magic, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by sligh
I believe I should be able to explain to a new knoppix user the install procedure with out a hiccup changing the install procedure is just adding to the possibility of errors frustration and aggravation on the part of the new user .
Knoppix, the live CD, is a great way to indroduce a newbie to Linux. Recommending that a newbie install Knoppix to hard disk is not a great way to introduce them to Linux (unless you're planning on doing it for them!). The Knoppix installer is an add-on. Extremely well done, yeah, definitely. But it's an add-on.

As Mr. Knopper himself says in the FAQ, in regards to hard disk installation:

"[T]here is currently no installation GUI for this, so installation to a hard drive should probably only be attempted by more knowledgeable Linux users."

If you want to spare new users who want to install Linux in a dual-boot configuration a bunch of "frustration and aggravation," recommend something like Mandrake or SuSE, not Knoppix. (Not sure I can recommend Fedora Core any more, especially with its GRUB problems.) They both have proper, easy-to-use, Windows-like installation routines.

Quote Originally Posted by lavaman094
I've told it to install lilo to the MBR, but it doesn't work. It shouldn't be a problem, but it seems it might be that it is--my booting linux partition is 140 GB into the drive.
Personally, I've had two boot loader disasters, once with LILO, once with GRUB. Even though the problems were specific to the computer I had at the time, I'll never install LILO or GRUB to a MBR again, unless a) Linux is the only thing on the computer; or b) both Windows and Linux are brand new installations, so that nothing is lost if it doesn't work.

In any case, it's really easy to use Windows' NTLDR with a special Windows version of GRUB to dual-boot.