-
knx-hdinstall removed! knoppix-installer busted!
Being a long-time user of knoppix, I downloaded the recent version of it a week or two ago.
I found that knx-hdinstall was gone! This surprised me greatly, as knx-hdinstall is better (to me) than knoppix-installer. I'm not afraid of terms like "root password", so I dislike seeing "administrator password". knx-hdinstall also offers more flexibility and configuration, to my liking than the other installer.
But, I tried knoppix-installer, and it failed to give me a bootable system. I've told it to install lilo to the MBR, but it doesn't work. It shouldn't be a problem, but it seems it might be that it is--my booting linux partition is 140 GB into the drive.
Upon reboot, the sytem said (with a bootdisk):
"Boot error. loading linux ebda is big, kernel setup stack overlaps lilo second stage."
If I don't use a bootdisk, I get all 99 99 99 99 99 etc...
I am installing to the third partition on my hard drive, that's the way it is, that can't be changed, and I'm surprised knx-hdinstall was removed, when it's obviously better if it can make a boot disk that works, as opposed to knoppix-installer, which never has made a working bootdisk for me.
So, why was knx-hdinstall removed? Certainly not for space reasons! Also, knx-hdinstall, seems to no longer be compatible with the new knoppix disks. I ran it using a new new ISO, and it wouldn't run!
So...when will knx-hdinstall return, why was it removed, and when will knoppix-installer be able to make working bootdisks for me?
Similar Threads
-
By ilovelinux98 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 09:46 AM
-
By vvirmani in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-07-2004, 12:29 AM
-
By SunnyB in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 04:39 AM
-
By bennyp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-10-2004, 06:06 PM
-
By bel_zh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...
$349.99

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14are05 14" Ryzen 7 4700U 2.0GHz 8GB RAM 256GB
$175.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro
$339.00

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36