-

Originally Posted by
baldyeti

Originally Posted by
lavaman094
is knx2hd what used to be "knx-hdinstall", or is it the abhorrent knoppix-installer under a different name?
abhorrent ? I have not tried a recent version of the script, but I don't remember it being that bad. Plus this being OSS and all, you're welcome to contribute patches rather than snide remarks.

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
Recommending that a newbie install Knoppix to hard disk is not a great way to introduce them to Linux (unless you're planning on doing it for them!). The Knoppix installer is an add-on.
Don't throw away the debian baby with the knoppix bath, though! Mepis or Kanotix are more suited to HD-install, because they strive to mix less different package pools than knoppix does for our fun and profit.
Realistically speaking though, partitioning and safe dual-booting probably
are a tad beyond true newbies, i'm afraid. I have no recent experience with say Mandrake or SuSE (which I used to highly praise), and these distributions probably offer more foolproof and less intimidating tools and procedures regarding those initial hurdles, as you suggest.
OSS also offers choice. For me, I believe the better installer is knx-hdinstall. I am not stupid, and like control, therefore I find that the knx-hdinstall program suits me best, and has since I began using it, which was when it was the one and only installer.
knx-hdinstall is great, but where did it go? Someone said something about "knx2hd", but is this the-script-formerly-called-knx-hdinstall, or is it simply a link back to knoppix-installer?
Can someone check?
Similar Threads
-
By ilovelinux98 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 09:46 AM
-
By vvirmani in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-07-2004, 12:29 AM
-
By SunnyB in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 04:39 AM
-
By bennyp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-10-2004, 06:06 PM
-
By bel_zh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES
$85.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )
$24.99