Quote Originally Posted by kofti
I was working with redhat fine. then i installed knoppix to a different partition. now i can not boot knoppix from hdd nor the redhat. i get the following errors.

1 )for redhat :

( installed on /dev/hda6 )

the kernel line works fine
the initrd line initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

error : 15 file not found.

however when i get to rescue mode from cd, the file is there. how come the grub doesn't find it.

2 ) for knoppix :

it is installed on dva7

error 17 : can not mount selected partition

root (hd0,7)
filesystem type unknown partition type (0x82)
dva7? I presume you meant /dev/hda7 and if so your grub entry is wrong. remember, grub starts counting from 0 not 1.

Code:
root (hd0,7)
is /dev/hda8

when i check from booting the cd i do fdisk -l
it gives hda7 as ext3 ( 0x83 ) not as ( 0x82),
Well I'm guessing that /dev/hda8 is your swap! You should do man update-grub