-
Writing to files from another Linux installation
Hi,
I've just installed RedHat9, but I'm having some problems with X config. I'm trying to use knoppix to edit the file (on /mnt/hdb1), but obviously I can't write to the file as I don't have the correct permissions since it's a different linux installation.
How can I gain permission to write to the file? Is there someway I can 'login' to the filesystem on hdb1?
Many thanks,
Matt
-
Senior Member
registered user
First, you must mount the filesystem writeable, for example:
Code:
sudo mount /mnt/hdb1 -o remount,rw
Second, you must edit the file as root, for example type this in konsole:
Code:
sudo mcedit /mnt/hdb1/etc/somefile
probono
-
Thank you! 
Matt
Similar Threads
-
By jrev in forum General Support
Replies: 16
Last Post: 10-13-2005, 04:08 PM
-
By rbasting in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
-
By emmbec in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-25-2004, 11:34 AM
-
By musclemania2004 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-18-2004, 06:30 PM
-
By massai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 05:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Power Supply
$3650.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver
$79.89