What procedure are you using to change the icons? If you are using 'r-click on the icon, select properties, click on the icon, select a new one' it seems really strange that it would change anything except the selected desktop link (icon).
I managed to change the desktop icons OK, but when I changed the Opera one, the Thunderbird and Firefox both changed to the big-O, too, presumably because they are classed as executable browser types? Curious. What am I doing wrong, please?
OG.
What procedure are you using to change the icons? If you are using 'r-click on the icon, select properties, click on the icon, select a new one' it seems really strange that it would change anything except the selected desktop link (icon).
To me too.
BTW, is this the CrashedAgain from LFX? (Seem to remember oldgeezer from somewhere, too.......)
yep, same CrashedAgain. I'm CrashedAgain everywhere I can be as I'm also enough of an old geezer to not want to have to remember too many handles.
Yes - right click to change the icon. I can change any one of these to the correct icon from the apps list but all of them are changed upon restarting. There must be some way of pinning a specific icon to a specific application rather than a type of app to which the icon defaults??
OG.
This is not the same as :Originally Posted by oldgeezer
For the former, (..all are changed on restarting), what mode is your HDinstall (Debian style or Knoppix style). Knoppix style resets a lot of stuff to default settings with each restart, not sure if it resets desktop icons but maybe it does.Originally Posted by oldgeezer
For the latter, (...change one & it changes others), I still don't understand how this could occur. Each desktop 'link' is it's own separate file & they are not related in any way. You can view the actual file...rt-click, open with a text editor (Kwrite or whatever). You can also edit the settings this way.
They were intended to mean the same thing!
I used the knx-hdinstall routine since I experienced endless difficulties with the knoppix-installer script.
I don't understand what is going on here, hence my enquiry!
Any more suggestions, please?
OG.
I remember having the same thing happen when I've dragged icons from the menu to the desktop and choosing copy. If I created the desktopicons from scratch they didn't change. This was with 3.3 september something.
I have a somewhat similar problem. Changed icons as wel as changed icon-names are not saved. After the next boot the original icons and names return.
Have you checked ~/.kde/Autostart/ for something like sorticons?
Not sure about the folder or filename??? (I'm in windows)

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.75