Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Desktop icons

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Seem to have stumbled on a 'feature' ?! What do the gurus have to say?
    OG.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    (I'm not responding because I'm a guru, because I'm not, I am just interested in seeing this resolved)

    Only thing I can think of... Could the "change" OldGeezer made in the icon association for the "single" program, been made "global"?

    You get this kind of problem in Windows, since it is so extension based in its associations. You change, or a program changes, an association to a file type, and every occurance then shows for that program. Like Real One Player, it sets a host of file type extension associations, some of which, are lame to have to open Real One for. (e.g. WAV files)

    This may not be the answer, but, in Windows, I had a program set a file type association for ICO, or icon, files, so, when I looked at them in Windows Explorer they only had an icon of this program, not what they used to show (the actual icon picture).

    Does a file association exist for a "global" executable, or script, file type? Could OldGeezer have stumbled into setting this file association, and now all file types of "this" are showing the icon for only one of these "this"? If this is true, can't the file association be deleted, and thus, everything go back to a "ground zero" setting? Don't know how this could have happened, unless you were in the "file association" changes, and changed a icon for something like "html" or something - i.e. a "global" file type change.

    I don't have an answer, just trying to give ideas, and possible avenues of resolve,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Update: What I described only appears to happen when operating as root??? [Yes, I know, I've read about security, etc., but this machine isn't connected very much and then only by DUN in short bursts, has no secure info on it, etc. Tell me about W98 security!]
    OG.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    perhaps Markus hints at the right solution. Try making your own links (rt-click on the desktop, create-new link to application. Cut/paste the link 'execute' from the original).
    I use to copy links from the main menu (drag & drop) but I then found that as user I did not have the permissions to modify them. I 'solved' that one by opening the link in a text editor & save as a new name then I could modify the new one. A lot of odd happenings in Linux turn out to be permission issues.
    Also, if you do a lot of editing which require root permissions a good idea is to create a link to 'RootKonqueror' and 'RootKate'. Just links to the regular applications but check off 'run as different user'--root. Then you can be running as user but have easy access to root. Remember if you set up things as root (bookmarks, email addresses etc) these settings are not available to user.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. desktop icons
    By michael7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 05:26 AM
  2. Moving desktop icons
    By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 02:22 AM
  3. partition icons on the desktop
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
  4. Changing ICONS, etc on KDE desktop
    By dragonx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 12:35 PM
  5. Where do the desktop icons go?
    By skyconcert in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD

$799.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00