-
Senior Member
registered user
power corrupts ??
Hmm,
I think this depends on the person and on your definition of freedom.
I see vader is in NY so Ill use a NY example....
I understand there is a smoking ban in bars and resto's in NY.
This in my personal definition is not freedom.
People who don't smoke have the choice to go to a non smoking bar and if there are significant numbers of them then non-smoking bars will be economic....
resto's you'd think even more so.....
Now i dont believe in forcing someone to go into either situation, either forcing an anti-smoker into a smoking bar or the other way round.
Am I, by giving the key to root access, only allowing someone else to open the "pandora's box", or just a natural evolution of them?
Well this is the question but this is like if someone asks for a match to light a cigarette ...they made the choice so IMHO its not your right to deny them for their own good. You could deny them becuasde they are your matches and you dont want em smoking but you shouldnt deny them for their own good becuase that is playing god.
So to me when NY or now Ireland banned what a private bar owner wanted to do in their own bar with legal substances they became non democratic. They took away the choice of people to choose and more importantly probably prevented quite a few people actually quitting. (This just makes their sneaked cigs more 'valuable' )
This is ABUSE of Power.... IMHO...
Why is Knoppix shipped with priviledges "locked-down", why is there no passwords for any of the accounts, why are all the external hard drives "defaulted" to read-only? Control. In the face of Knoppix's "power", we find "control". Hopefully, this "control" is strong enough to limit the "power" to do things, long enough, that we have the knowledge of the "power", before we learn how to remove the "control".
I dont really agree here, the defaults for knoppix are for a bootable CD, not a HDD install and the choices are appropraite to that to prevent someone from accidentally doing something... but without preventing them doing it if they really want.
(If you really wanna use konqueror as root and surf then export the display, xhost + su to root and start konqueror ... ) however forcing people to at least find out also gives them a chance to see the dangers...
I quit smoking a while ago but that doesnt mean i dont remember the misery of going to non smoking places. I refuse to give smokers a hard time becuase I know they are 10x more inconvenienced than me, perhaps 100x ... i still think they would be good to give up and Ill help anyone who wants to... BUT I wont FORCE it on people ....I even bought the book I read many times and gave it to friends and family... but if my brother visits or a friend who smokes i get them an ashtray and make sure they know I dont mind.
Yep but often the RTFM is enough control.... jeez I wrecked my apt sources often enough.... I should RTFM!!!! its my fault, i cant blame debian or klaus.... just ME.
( I admit it, I think I have the longest posts than anyone else ).
hehe elsewhere Im known as verbose contributor!!!
Similar Threads
-
By tmp000 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 25
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
-
By oman in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD
$49.97