-
Senior Member
registered user
Attempting to install Debian Sarge: A tale of woe
This is posted with the hope it'll maybe help, or at least entertain somebody. Feel free to point at me and laugh.
I cleared up some space on my Athlon 2600+ box with the intention of installing Debian Sid. I downloaded and burned 3 CDs (using jigdo). However, when I attempted to install, the installer got through the language and keyboard questions and dumped me to an ash shell.
So I went back and downloaded 3 Debian Sarge CDs. Same result.
Turns out you're supposed to either:
1) install Debian Woody, change every instance of "stable" in /etc/apt/sources.list to "testing" or "unstable" (depending on what you want), use apt-cdrom add to add your binaries CDs, then use apt-get -u dist-upgrade to upgrade the system; or
2) download the Debian-Installer ISO and install from it, adding your binaries CDs when it comes time to confgure apt.
Now, how do you know you're supposed to download the beta installer separately? Why, because you've drilled down to the /install/doc directory of the binaries CD and read INSTALLATION-HOWTO, of course. Otherwise, you might have missed it, since it's not prominently posted on the Debian site. (Not that I'm bitter or anything.)
So I tried to install Sarge.
I ended up trying both ways -- install Woody, then upgrade; or use the new beta installer -- with the same result.
When I told the installer to use my CDs, it scanned them, but later, when installing packages, the installer asked me over and over again to insert them, and for some reason, couldn't find them.
Even though the installer found my NIC and loaded the correct driver for it, after rebooting to the new system, my network didn't work. The agp kernel module that came with kernel 2.4.25-1-386 was incompatible with my chipset, so X wouldn't work except using the VGA driver. (Which is not a good thing when your system is set to boot to a graphical login.) My "sources.list" wasn't set to get the NVidia kernel -- not that I'm confident installing the NVidia kernel would have solved the agp problem. The final straw was when I looked at /etc/fstab and found no entries for my floppy, my CD-ROM, or my DVD-ROM. (No wonder the installer couldn't find the CDs!)
So, for now, I'm reinstalling Knoppix!!! I admit defeat. Anybody want some slightly used Debian Sid and Sarge CDs?
Similar Threads
-
By johnsmith01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-16-2005, 12:52 PM
-
By bobyd54 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-12-2005, 06:52 PM
-
By Qizz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 02:58 AM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:57 AM
-
By chukky25 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit
$888.50

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit #2
$838.50

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On
$100.00

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs
$950.00

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00

Commodore Amiga 2000 Rev 4.2 (PAL, Kickstart 1.3) Computer Keyboard Mouse Box SB
$1599.99

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128
$79.99

External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive
$135.00