-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry, this post is slightly OT, since I defend the general idea of AppDirs here.
user unknown, please look at the general architecture of klik on http://klik.berlios.de/architecture/ - klik does all of that today already. The only thing I propose is that KDE should have a way to start the wrapper automatically when the AppDir is clicked.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
The last time I used a Mac is more than 10 years ago, and I never owned a Mac myself. So I don't know to much of its inner technics.
A lot has changed since then, the Mac OS is now Unix.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
When resources (?) are installed with the application in a folder, how are multiple users handled?
AppDirs allow users to install apps in userspace. But you could of course also install them to /opt, making them available system-wide.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
What's about shared resources, like libxml, libjpeg, ...?
The common ones stay where they are. The less common ones go into the AppDir of the application that needs them. That way each app can have its own matching version of libraries without the danger of messing the whole system. /dev/modem is a systemwide thing, but libtiniweeny-0.6.so not (since not many apps use it).

Originally Posted by
user unknown
Will the data be stored in the same folder?
The data that belongs to the app: yes (such as help pages, icons etc), userdata: no (goes still to ~)

Originally Posted by
user unknown
Can the technic handle multiple versions like 3.14-stable, 4.0-beta?
Yes!

Originally Posted by
user unknown
When I run a program, I call its name - no need for browsing and clicking.
You could still do this, but you are not the average point-and-klik user.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
I never use konqueror to start an application.
You don't have to, but I would like to. As a fluxbox user, you are completely unaffected by the progresses in KDE
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 20
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:02 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
-
By morgan73 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
-
Replies: 210
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM
-
By Lord1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01