-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for your insightful comments. I am always interested in how to make thinks newbie-friendly without upsetting power users.
Perhaps I should make one thing clear first: the idea of klik is to make third party software usable on the Knoppix Live-CD, which is read-only. So everything must run in userland, without root privileges, without write access outside of ~, and single-user. Also, the majority of software comes preinstalled with the Live-CD. klik just adds a few apps that are not on the CD.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
My first installation didn't asked where to install - it just installed to my home-dir.
That is what makes sense on Knoppix, but you can move AppDirs anywhere (at least in my latest version of the wrapper). It would be absolutely easy to ask the user where to put the AppDir first. Probably I will include that in the next klik version.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
Firefox started and told me 'already running - new profile?' - which ended the possibility to help there.
klik is at the moment a KDE thing. Please set up Konqueror as your default browser. The idea of "profiles" is purely a Firefox thing.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
How do I start klik? I thought of 'klik' but no 'klik' in path...
By clicking on a klik link in Konqueror. (Again, I develop purely for KDE, but if you want to, you can write a protocol handler for Firefox, too. No problem)

Originally Posted by
user unknown
I installed DBDesigner with klik
The DBDesigner issues you describe are not klik-related.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
I found out, that in the lib-dir, a lot of libraries are installed, which are already installed in /usr/lib etc.
That's annoying. You waste internet band-width, harddrive-space, and a lot of time.
Well... You can copy the DBDesigner folder over to another machine... and it will run! But I agree, there should be some universally agreed standard on which libraries are the "core system" (and expected on any machine) and which ones are "special" (and must come with the app that needs them). Another possible solution is serverside-apt, which I am developing. It will check which libraries are installed on your machine and download only the missing ones.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
An updated library has to be put to every user, and every app.
No, only apps that need the updated library will have to come with it. Just like the Mac. I don't want that my running core system gets touched (in fact, with Live-CD it can't) just because one app needs a newer version of a lib. The core system should never be touched just to make an app run.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
Why don't you ship new computers for every app?

That would ensure everything runs flawless!
(Indeed, I would love to have a virtual machine for each app so that an app behaves deterministic and can't mess with the rest if the system. But that's really overkill then...)

Originally Posted by
user unknown
Another issue: Your script (dbdstart) contains a lot of backtics.
That's DBDesigner's script, not mine. But thanks for the info, I also used backticks.

Originally Posted by
user unknown
The directories are called 'Data, Doc, Linuxlib, ...' That's MS-style, where nobody uses CLI.
again, DBDesigner's. Install quanta, for example, and you will see /usr,... etc.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 20
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:02 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
-
By morgan73 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 15
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
-
Replies: 210
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM
-
By Lord1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210
$139.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

Genuine Samsung K406S Black Toner Cartridge - New and Sealed Box
$35.99