You can right-click the desktop icon and uncheck "read only" in the device tab or open a terminal and do:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
If you need to specify filesystem check /etc/fstab and add for example -t vfat
Hello,
I recently bought a SanDisk 512 MB Micro USB flash drive. I can boot into Knoppix using a CD. (I am using the most recent version of Knoppix, since I downloaded and made the CD within the last week.)
Knoppix autodetects the flash drive as a read-only SCSI drive (sda1). The thing is, I would like to be able to write to USB flash drive.
How should I mount this flash drive as a writeable drive?
Please note that /mnt is not writeable.
Thanks in advance for any help,
- Jay
You can right-click the desktop icon and uncheck "read only" in the device tab or open a terminal and do:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
If you need to specify filesystem check /etc/fstab and add for example -t vfat
Hello Markus,
thanks for your reply. The command line version worked ( sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ) but for some reason when I right clicked on the desktop icon for the drive, chose properties, then went to the device tab and unchecked "read only", it did not have any effect. [ I tried the GUI version of the process before the command line one.]
In any case, it works now, since the command line version was effective. Thanks very much for your help.
That way witht he GUI doesn't work.Originally Posted by jay_kpx
Right click the drive -> actions -> change read/write
Glad at least the command worked.
I must say I'm getting more and more adverse (is that a word?) to answering Live-CD questions since I hardly ever use it. Just wondering how all the other people here manage to remember all the stuff. Do you actually run the cd or should I answer one of those emails selling "pills that increase your memory capacity"? They seem to have a special price just for me, you know.
After modifying fstab or doing it in the Desktop as suggested, remember to save the Knoppix configuration to /mnt/sda1. When you boot you should use knoppix myconfig=/mnt/sda1 and it should work fine. I have the same drive you do and works perfect.

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only)
$89.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig
$775.00
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99
Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
$75.00