-
Senior Member
registered user
rpm instead of apt-get
I'm used to installing apps to my hdinstalled PCs using apt-get. What do you do when what you need to install only comes as an rpm? I'm trying to install Object Based Phoenix BASIC (a vb clone for linux) from http://www.janus-software.com but phoenix is distributed only as rpms.
TIA,
AJG
-
You can use alien to convert the rpm into a deb.
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, I tried alien, but I must be doing something wrong. In a shell I ran alien blah.phoenix.blah.rpm and just sat there forever without anything happening....
TIA,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user
It should work, but what's with the blah?
From memory (and after half a bottle of lambrusco):
alien name_of_package.rpm
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry, that's what I menat by blahlah... = whateverthenameof the appis....
Is alien slow if the rpm is a few MBs? I think there are 2 rpms for this package to work. One is almost 2MB and the other almost 4MB.
Thanx,
AJG
-
If memory serves me it's:
alien -i bläh.rpm (to install directly)
alien -d bläh.rpm (to just convert to .deb)
-
Actually, youre thinking of the dpkg command, markus. For RPMs use "alien --install blah.rpm".
-
Well, it's a bit faster to write -i than --install and I do believe they do the same thing. This time I even checked man alien.
-
I think i used -i instead of --install out of habit and it didnt work, but my memory is fuzzy since it was a day ago >.>
-
That's nothing, my memory is fuzzy all the time
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 5.2GHz 3D V-Cache CPU NEW SEALED
$400.00