-
problem making final ISO
I am trying to remaster Knoppix 3.4.
I have built the big ISO and am trying to make the final ISO per http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto.
Here is the command I am using...
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hdd1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hdd1/knx/master
I get the error:
Code:
mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory 'boot/isolinux'
my current working directory is /mnt/hdd1/knx/master/
Any suggestions?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Uh, oh, I can't find the boot catalog directory
I have the same problem as linux203. Everything goes well until I try to make the final iso image. I noticed the the boot files are on the cd so I changed the path for the isolinux.bin / boot.cat to point to the cd when trying to make the ISO and same thing hapens " Uh, oh, I can't find the boot catalog directory ". any help would be appreciated. If someone wrights a how to and it doesnt work than it's useless. Hope u guys can help.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Cant find the boot catalog directory
Found the problem and here is the fix
When creating Knoppix 3.4 custom cd, during the iso creation of the compressed image you might get the message "Uh oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory 'boot/isolinux'!" . Here is why: Who ever wrote the instruction for "Knoppix Remastering Howto" were thinking of the older version probably so when you create the new 3.4 version you have to watch out for the line that ( cd /cdrom/KNOPPIX;find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents {} /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ \; ). The reason is I think in the old version the boot files are in that directory but not in the new version, (don't actually know as I didn't download the old version). This is a fix for Knoppix 3.4 version. We need to copy the boot files from the cd to the /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX directorey.
So here is the fix for 3.4.
1. Open the console and change to root "su" command.
2. mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/boot
3. mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/boot/isolinux
4. cp /cdrom/boot/isolinux/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/boot/isolinux
5. Make the iso cd by initiating the command below again.
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master
Now you should see your cd being created
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Cant find the boot catalog directory

Originally Posted by
techfreak
Found the problem and here is the fix

When creating Knoppix 4.3 custom cd, during the iso creation of the compressed image you might get the message
"Uh oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory 'boot/isolinux'!" . Here is why: Who ever wrote the instruction for "Knoppix Remastering Howto" were thinking of the older version probably so when you create the new 4.3 version you have to watch out for the line that
( cd /cdrom/KNOPPIX;find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents {} /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ \; ). The reason is I think in the old version the boot files are in that directory but not in the new version, (don't actually know as I didn't download the old version).
This is a fix for Knoppix 4.3 version. We need to copy the boot files from the cd to the /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX directorey.
So here is the fix for 4.3.
1. Open the console and change to root "su" command.
2. mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/boot
3. mkdir /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/boot/isolinux
4. cp /cdrom/boot/isolinux/* /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/boot/isolinux
5. Make the iso cd by initiating the command below again.
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master
Now you should see your cd being created

If this is indeed a valid issue when it comes to remastering 3.4, then it needs to be added to the Wiki. Go ahead and do that if you haven't already.
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK, give me a day or 2 and I will also post a sh script that remasters the CD. In, addition as you can see I'm kind of new to this site so I looked at wiki and it seems I can edit the Wiki docs so do you want me to edit the Knoppix Remastering Howto document in the Docs section and make some corrections?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have followed the steps suggested (i.e. copy the contents of /boot/isolinux to the directory tree for source) for correcting this error (Uh oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory 'boot/isolinux) and I am still having the same issue.
One odd thing is that I don't have a /boot/isolinux directory when I run my live CD version of KNOPPIX. However, even if I point it towards the cdrom (cdrom/boot/isolinux) I still get the same error.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Mostly I love the upgrade to 3.4, but this is a real show stopper for me right now.
Regards to the group,
~pau1
-
Junior Member
registered user
Pointing it to the cdrom will not work you have to copy it to the remaster folder. I have corrected this in the WIKI docs on the main page. So make sure you do this :
(For Knoppix 3.4), copy everything in /cdrom/ to /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ except the ~700 Mb KNOPPIX file. ( cd /cdrom;find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents {} /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ \; )
-
copy creates confusion...for me
I went through the steps you provided, but the command you gave above where you copy all of the files from /cdrom to the master/KNOPPIX directory creates a problem later. When you do the copy, it also copies over a directory named KNOPPIX.
Later, when you run the first msisofs command, you attempt to create a file named KNOPPIX in the master/KNOPPIX directory. This fails because of the existing directory.
Any suggestions as to how to change it? All I did was put the KNOPPIX file into master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/
I created the iso with the next mkisofs command, but I have yet to test it out.
-Jimmy
-
problem making final ISO
The howto is great, and is accurate, AFAIK, except for when you're building the master directory; Where it says:
(For Knoppix 3.4), copy everything in /cdrom/ to /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ except the ~700 Mb KNOPPIX file. ( cd /cdrom;find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents {} /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ \; )
I got it to work by substituting this:
(For Knoppix 3.4), copy everything in /cdrom/ to /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/ except the ~700 Mb KNOPPIX file. ( cd /cdrom;find . -size -10000k -type f -exec cp -p --parents {} /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ \; )
everything else seemed to work fine, and my remastered cd booted. Hope this helps.
-
iso is made but does not boot
Followed the same procedure both master and source trees have boot/isolinux/ from the CD but when booting CD, it says could not find kernel image: linux again.
Similar Threads
-
By mohit.jain.india in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-28-2005, 09:39 AM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-12-2003, 05:04 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 09:30 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-06-2003, 05:40 AM
-
By roberto in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks EX4400-EM-4Y EX Series 4-Port SFP Expansion Module 25Gbps
$800.00

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99