-
need read AND write access to some files in /var/lib
hi there,
I'm trying to remaster KNOPPIX to support an OpenSource Accounting programm (SQL-Ledger). I started with Knoppix KDE Version. Nearly everything went fine until I wanted to install PostgresQL. Actually I installed it, testet it in a chroot environment and everything went fine. I created the cloop image, the iso images, burned it to an RW and startet it.
Now PostgresQL wont start, because it can't open a file (/var/lib/postgres/data/global/pg_control) in read and _write_ mode. After searching a little bit through my filesystem I found that every file in /var/lib/postgres is a link to /KNOPPIX/var/lib/postgres which is not writeable.
There is a similar problem with apache (apache is not part of KDE Knoppix CD).
maybe someone can tell what I have to do to make these files (and some others) writeable. I know there must be a way, because apache is part of the 'normal' Knoppix CD.
There must be a possibility to change this.
hope anyone can help.
so long,
red
-
Junior Member
registered user
A thought would be to make a sim link to the file. The sim link being in /var where your program is looking for it, and the file being decompressed and written to the /ramdisk/whatever. This would allow it to be written to, but changes will be lost on a reboot.
-
where does knoppix stores which files get copied and symllinked to the ramdisk?
so long,
red
-
Re: need read AND write access to some files in /var/lib

Originally Posted by
redrat
I'm trying to remaster KNOPPIX to support an OpenSource Accounting programm (SQL-Ledger). I started with Knoppix KDE Version.

Originally Posted by
...and
Now PostgresQL wont start, because it can't open a file (/var/lib/postgres/data/global/pg_control) in read and _write_ mode. After searching a little bit through my filesystem I found that every file in /var/lib/postgres is a link to /KNOPPIX/var/lib/postgres which is not writeable.
This can be changed at a cost of less RAM memory. I do this for /usr/local on Knoppix, and have done it in the past for /var/apt and others. Generally, what you need is a place on /ramdisk to put the stuff, and create new links to everything that is needed.
For example, if /var/lib is writable, then:
Code:
# cd /var/lib
# cp -av --backup=.orig postgres postgres.new
# rm -f postgres
# mv postgres.new postgres
If /var/lib is NOT writable, then do the same thing, but at the /var/lib level:
Code:
# cd /var
# cp -av --backup=.orig lib lib.new
# rm -f lib
# mv lib.new lib
...then change into /var/lib and go thru the steps previously described.
If /var/lib/postgres is writable:
Code:
# cd /var/lib/postgres
# for i in * ; do \
cp -av --backup=.orig $i $i.new && \
mv $i.new $i ; \
done
Remember to make sure you've got space on /ramdisk (or wherever) for all this stuff....
Similar Threads
-
By kevingpo in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
-
By greygooseplz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 12:17 AM
-
By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
-
By blt975 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 10:39 PM
-
By buxus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Epson Card 486D4 Single Board Computer Card PCMCIA Vintage Industrial
$906.39

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

VINTAGE HEWLETT PACKARD HP 110 LAPTOP WITH CARRYING CASE
$350.00

IBM ThinkPad 360C Vintage Laptop Black Screen No Battery w/ Charger AS IS
$175.00

Vintage Apple PowerBook 1400 Top Cover Art Inserts 600-4101-A Set Of 7
$67.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Mixed Lot Box Of Vintage Used Diskettes / Floppy Disks 3.5 3.5" Lot Of 73
$45.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72