Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Kernal panic error -- won't boot! Please help..

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I'm not sure about the initrd, but I don't have one, and asked in another thread, what it's for (less than one month ago)
    I've forgotten the answer, but you might find it by searching for 'initrd'.
    Of course you have to remove the initrd - lines from your /etc/lilo.conf.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9
    I get the same kernal panic problem no matter which kernal I try to boot into (basically, I can't get a working LinuxOS going, whether it's "Linux", "Linux2.4" or "Linux2.6". The initrd thing may be something, because I get the following message when I try to run mkfs.ext3:

    mkfs.ext3: Device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified, or
    partition table wasn't reread after funning fdisk, due to
    a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need to reboot
    to re-read your partition table.
    When I try mkfs.reiserfs, I get this:

    reiserfs_create: can not create that small (0 blocks) filesystem
    When I try to mount hda3, I get the same message that I got when I tried to mount WinXP, mainly
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda3
    As for editing (or deleting) initrd, I can't get to it because I can't mount the drive..

    Should I simply start all over again with my partitions (i.e., go back into WindowsXP and use PartitionMagic, delete all partitions, and start again)? I must have tried to install this thing more than 15 times now, and it's getting really frustrating.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9
    Ok -- I've gone and re-partitioned my drive (it's now in correct order, and starts with hda2 after main), re-installed Knoppix and... still the same. It was nothing to do my partitions after all. The error message I still get is:

    mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernal
    I've scanned other posts and checked for bug reports, and it doesn't seem like anyone else is getting this... What could possibly be the problem!? I'm just about ready to give up, and go back to (sigh) Linspire. But I'd really like to get all the packages offered by Knoppix as well as the flexibility.. Anyone else out there with this problem???[/quote]

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    You had a partition of size 0 before, and now again?

    You needend try to mount a filesystem, which wasn't created - of course that will fail.

    do
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/hda
    p
    q
    and report the results.

    It will show partitions, size, and the filesystemtype to be used with that partition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Kernal panic
    By lbenn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 11:08 PM
  2. Boot hangs on "Loading linux kernal"
    By jimmyjrosu in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 08:26 PM
  3. Boot error and kernel panic after 3.4 install
    By dinacre in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 11:15 PM
  4. INIT PANIC error hangup at boot
    By motthe3rd in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 07:26 PM
  5. Nomce Kernal panic
    By scottb908 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99