-
By "tried formatting..." I meant I tried the installation after formatting it (without error messages) as ext3, then again as reiserfs.
What do you mean, create a filesystem? Is this a manual step that you have to do outside of the Knoppix installation procedure? Nothing during installation prompted me to make a filesystem, and there was no such option underQTparted.
Where and when do I do this? Remember, it doesn't boot, so I can't do it from within. Do I boot from CD and do it from root? If so, how do I let it know that I want to do it to the harddrive, and not to the ramdisk?
'same result': mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernal ?
Yes
What do you mean with 'is named' - the name you pick manually for your partition?
No, the name that I see when I type 'fdisk -l', as follows:
- Disk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3648 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 2934 23567323+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3 2999 3648 5221125 83 Linux
/dev/hda4 2935 2998 514080 82 Linux swap
Partition table entries are not in disk order
Perhaps related, I've tried mounting my WInXP drive from Knoppix (booted from CD), and I get an 'fs' error, as follows:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
or too many mounted file systems
(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
I will try mkfs, but as I said, i'm not sure where I do this from (I'll try root console and look for proper syntax). Thanks so much for your help; I'll post my results.
Similar Threads
-
By lbenn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 11:08 PM
-
By jimmyjrosu in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-12-2005, 08:26 PM
-
By dinacre in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 11:15 PM
-
By motthe3rd in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By scottb908 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$246.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99