Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Prepping Hard Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    10

    Prepping Hard Drive

    I just tried out Knoppix for the first time and I love it. It detected all of my hardware except for the soundcard on my laptop which was alleviated by a simple modprobe.

    I'm planning to try out a HD install on my laptop which has a 20G drive.

    I've read that when you upgrade to a newer version of Knoppix it wipes out the old install. I have no problem with having to tweak my stuff back to where I want it after an upgrade, but I was wondering if there were any recommendations for how to partition the hard drive to minimize this.

    Here's an example of what I've done in the past:
    Code:
    hda1    /boot   150MB
    hda2    <swap>  512MB
    hda3    /       600MB
    hda5    /home   512MB
    hda6    /usr    1024MB
    hda7    /var    512MB
    hda8    /opt    1024MB
    My machines are for web development purposes as well so I would like to keep the config files around for Apache after the upgrade as well. Should I create another partition for /etc? Whould this get wiped by an upgrade?

    I then usually have my data area on another partition which I mount as /home/myusername

    Thanks,
    Andy

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85

    Re: Prepping Hard Drive

    Salve Andy,

    >I'm planning to try out a HD install on my laptop which has a 20G
    >drive.
    If you install Knoppix additional to your running system, you
    need seperate partition with > 2,6 GB(AFAIK) free space.

    >I've read that when you upgrade to a newer version of Knoppix it >wipes out the old install.
    [..]
    > Should I create another partition for /etc? Whould this get wiped
    > by an upgrade?

    See Knoppix as a clone of an installation. There will be no upgrades
    with Knoppix, only new installations. Knoppix is a Live-System and
    not a distribution.
    After installing Knoppix to your hd, you have a Debian installation
    on your hd. You can use the Debian tools apt-get to install and
    upgrade your system and software.
    visit http://www.debian.org and learn more about Debian.

    If you use a seperate /etc before installing Knoppix again,
    you use an old-fasiond installation in /etc. This will not run,
    create trouble or unnessesary work. So again, after installing Knoppix
    on your hd you have two options:

    1. To install a new (instant - clone system) Knoppix over the old one
    2. To use the debian tools.

    BTW, i see no reason why to split your hd in so many partitions,
    it is more complicated, less flexible and not faster.

    Special Partition for /boot swap are home are handy:
    >I then usually have my data area on another partition which I mount >as /home/myusername

    Visit
    http://www.linux.org/docs/index.html
    for general Linux knowledge.

    Greetings
    rob

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    10
    I decided to go with the simple one big partition setup. The reason I used so many partitions is because my laptop was a proof-of-concept for a server and I'd figured I'd set it up as such. The partition setup was recommend to me.

    Now that I've been thinking, the only things I have to worry about losing if I would be an upgrade (or new install) would my apache config and samba config which I'll just back up. All my personal data is stored on other hard drives, actually in Fat32 so I can share it with Windows.

    Thanks for the help.

    Andy

Similar Threads

  1. USB hard drive supermount?
    By jefro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 10:37 PM
  2. Need hard drive help
    By Ezor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 01:59 AM
  3. What's the best USB Hard drive to use?
    By Bodhi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
  4. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. Read-Only Hard drive?
    By echelon in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs picture

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs

$149.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 400 Computer System  console with Power Supply TESTED and Working picture

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working

$150.00