In our LAN are some computers running Windows with a firewall which blocks port 445. So the programs smbclient and smbmount are waiting for a long time for aan answer at this port which never arrive. To overcome this I have written two wrapper scripts which work very well (for me):
smbclient:
-- begin
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/smbclient "$@" -k -p 139
-- end
smbmount:
--begin
#!/bin/sh
SMBPAR=""
OPTPAR=0
OPTCNT=0
for PAR in $@; do
if [ $OPTPAR -eq 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR $PAR"
else
for (( I=1; I<10; I=I+1 )); do
SUBPAR=`echo $PAR | cut -d ',' -f $I`
if [ "$SUBPAR" == "" ]; then
break
fi
NAME=`echo $SUBPAR | cut -d '=' -f 1`
if [ "$NAME" != "workgroup" ] && [ "$NAME" != "ip" ] && [ "$NAME" != "krb" ]; then
if [ $OPTCNT -gt 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR,$SUBPAR"
else
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR $SUBPAR"
OPTCNT=1
fi
fi
done
fi
if [ "$PAR" == "-o" ]; then
OPTPAR=1
fi
done
if [ $OPTPAR -eq 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR -o port=139"
else
if [ $OPTCNT -eq 0 ]; then
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR port=139"
else
SMBPAR="$SMBPAR,port=139"
fi
fi
/usr/bin/smbmount $SMBPAR,sockopt="SO_SNDBUF=8192,SO_RCVBUF=8192,gue st"
-- end
Just create two file smbclient and smbmount in /usr/local/bin and make them executable. You can still use the original programs. You just have to specify the full path.
By the way a very good program for viewing Windows and samba shares is smb4k. Would be nice to have it on a Knoppix CD.

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00