Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: KMail Security (OpenPGP) Help - Please...

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    KMail Security (OpenPGP) Help - Please...

    Ok, I am not a noob, but in some areas, I am still learning, so I won't say I am a noobie on this... (but I am) [giggle]

    I keep getting email (through KMail) that shows the following:

    Code:
    Message was signed with unknown key.
    The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
    Problem: OpenPGP plug-in was not specified.
    Use the 'Settings->Configure KMail->Security' dialog to specify the
    plug-in or ask your system administrator to do that for you.
    Ouch! That hurts! I am the system administrator!

    Ok, I tried to do what it said, and got completely lost doing it, I set it to something, I thought would get it working, and the next email I got, it came out with the same error -=- So, I'm missing something, or not doing something...

    Way back, when I first started getting these things, I tried to set what it wanted, and then gave up, thinking it was only "foof" or "fluff" as far as the workings of email, but, with the growing concerns of email security, I'd really like this to be working.

    Has anyone got the above working? And how can I get it working?
    Ms. Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Add this to your sources.list.

    Then apt-get update and apt-get install newpg libgpgme6 libksba0 cryptplug pinentry-common pinentry-qt should get you everything you need. Then you can go into the Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Security -> Crypto Plugins tab and add the /usr/lib/cryptplug/gpgme-openpgp.so in the location and name it OpenGPG and apply the changes, the warning should now go away and you will get a different message like this when the email is signed.

    Code:
    Message was signed with unknown key 0x79F1BCE38DE4D38E.
    The validity of the signature cannot be verified.
    Status: No public key to verify the signature.
    This is telling you the plugin works but you have not imported the public key of the person sending the mail into your keyring. If you import the key it looks like this.

    Code:
    Message was signed by [email protected] (Key ID: 0x79F1BCE38DE4D38E).
    The signature is valid, but the key's validity is unknown.
    Sign it with your own key and it looks like this and the colour of the message changes to green from yellow.

    Code:
    Message was signed by [email protected] (Key ID: 0x79F1BCE38DE4D38E).
    The signature is valid and the key is fully trusted.
    If you want to use GPG signing for your out going messages then you need to create a key with KGpg then edit the file /home/user_name/.gnupg/gpg.conf and uncomment the use-agent line then create a /home/user_name/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf with the following contents:

    Code:
    pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-qt
    no-grab
    default-cache-ttl 1800
    Now you edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90newpg_gpg-agent and change to this line at the top of the file.

    Code:
    STARTGPG=yes
    Then you have to return to the Configure Kmail -> Manage Identities and choose the email account for the GPG key you created and select the Modify option, in the Advanced tab of the configuration dialog that pops up use the Change button in the OpenGPG key selection and in the dialog select the key to use then apply the changes. You have to log out of KDE and restart the X server then log back in and every time you send a mail with the account you should have an encryption option to choose too use.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks Stephen, now some more questions (you knew this was going to happen...)

    OpenPGP is for incomming email signing ?
    OpenGPG is for outgoing email signing ?

    Am I right, or do I have something mixed up?

    Also, the above is not for encryption, right? Because the email I get with these messages, can be read (but just have the message above them), so it can't be an encrypted email. So, "signing" an email just ensures who the sender is, and that "they" sent it, correct?

    Considering how much the trouble, as seen above, to get "signing" working with email, and the fact that I don't have anyone I would "need" this for, nor would they care if I did or not, and that the email I am getting that has this, is coming from ALSA email newsgroup, I think its a moot issue to get it working. I just thought, by the message that pops up in the email, it was something serious that I am missing, and by the wording, something that "should" be running, or something is seriously going to go wrong, kinda thing.

    Thanks again for the help Stephen,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Help me set up Kmail
    By Ezor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 09:29 PM
  2. kmail and hotmail configuration
    By nicorellius in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 01:22 PM
  3. Hotmail support for kmail
    By hojit in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 05:07 AM
  4. Mozilla with KMail
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 02:16 PM
  5. Smail in Kmail
    By willywalker in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$79.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250 250 GB 2.5 in SATA III Solid State Drive picture

Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250 250 GB 2.5 in SATA III Solid State Drive

$24.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512

$65.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99