Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Desktop icons

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107

    Desktop icons

    I managed to change the desktop icons OK, but when I changed the Opera one, the Thunderbird and Firefox both changed to the big-O, too, presumably because they are classed as executable browser types? Curious. What am I doing wrong, please?
    OG.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    What procedure are you using to change the icons? If you are using 'r-click on the icon, select properties, click on the icon, select a new one' it seems really strange that it would change anything except the selected desktop link (icon).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    To me too.

    BTW, is this the CrashedAgain from LFX? (Seem to remember oldgeezer from somewhere, too.......)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    yep, same CrashedAgain. I'm CrashedAgain everywhere I can be as I'm also enough of an old geezer to not want to have to remember too many handles.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Yes - right click to change the icon. I can change any one of these to the correct icon from the apps list but all of them are changed upon restarting. There must be some way of pinning a specific icon to a specific application rather than a type of app to which the icon defaults??
    OG.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    ... all of them are changed upon restarting.
    This is not the same as :

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    ....when I changed the Opera one, the Thunderbird and Firefox both changed to the big-O, too, presumably because they are classed as executable browser types?
    For the former, (..all are changed on restarting), what mode is your HDinstall (Debian style or Knoppix style). Knoppix style resets a lot of stuff to default settings with each restart, not sure if it resets desktop icons but maybe it does.

    For the latter, (...change one & it changes others), I still don't understand how this could occur. Each desktop 'link' is it's own separate file & they are not related in any way. You can view the actual file...rt-click, open with a text editor (Kwrite or whatever). You can also edit the settings this way.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    They were intended to mean the same thing!
    I used the knx-hdinstall routine since I experienced endless difficulties with the knoppix-installer script.
    I don't understand what is going on here, hence my enquiry!
    Any more suggestions, please?
    OG.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I remember having the same thing happen when I've dragged icons from the menu to the desktop and choosing copy. If I created the desktopicons from scratch they didn't change. This was with 3.3 september something.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    I have a somewhat similar problem. Changed icons as wel as changed icon-names are not saved. After the next boot the original icons and names return.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you checked ~/.kde/Autostart/ for something like sorticons?
    Not sure about the folder or filename??? (I'm in windows)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. desktop icons
    By michael7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 05:26 AM
  2. Moving desktop icons
    By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 02:22 AM
  3. partition icons on the desktop
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
  4. Changing ICONS, etc on KDE desktop
    By dragonx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 12:35 PM
  5. Where do the desktop icons go?
    By skyconcert in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99