First, you must mount the filesystem writeable, for example:
Second, you must edit the file as root, for example type this in konsole:Code:sudo mount /mnt/hdb1 -o remount,rw
probonoCode:sudo mcedit /mnt/hdb1/etc/somefile
Hi,
I've just installed RedHat9, but I'm having some problems with X config. I'm trying to use knoppix to edit the file (on /mnt/hdb1), but obviously I can't write to the file as I don't have the correct permissions since it's a different linux installation.
How can I gain permission to write to the file? Is there someway I can 'login' to the filesystem on hdb1?
Many thanks,
Matt![]()
First, you must mount the filesystem writeable, for example:
Second, you must edit the file as root, for example type this in konsole:Code:sudo mount /mnt/hdb1 -o remount,rw
probonoCode:sudo mcedit /mnt/hdb1/etc/somefile
Thank you!
Matt

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works
$148.75
Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer
$72.00
Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED
$67.76
Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00
Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box
$80.00
A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U
$159.99