Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix with reiser4 support- does one exist?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix with reiser4 support- does one exist?

    Has anyone created, or know of a custom Knoppix 3.4 with a 2.6 kernel with reiser4 support? I use Knoppix to install Gentoo, as I'm on dialup only, and it makes it pretty easy, but I'd like to try reiser4 on root.

    There is a minimal Gentoo live cd with reiser4 support created by Redeeman, with his own kernel, but it has no ppp networking, any Gentoo stages, or wvdial on it, and after I create the reiser4 partitions I can't boot to Knoppix and access the Gentoo partition, as Knoppix doesn't read/write to reiser4. Also, the Redeeman live-cd doesn't seem able to see my other reiser3 partitions, so I can't copy packages from them either.

    The ideal solution would be to boot to the Redeeman cd and create the reiser4 partitions, do the first part of my Gentoo install, and then use a customized Knoppix "reiser4" live cd to get internet access or copy packages from another partition, and finish up the Gentoo install. This is my normal way of Gentoo installation.

    I've looked for an already made Knoppix custom, but haven't found one yet. Before I try to build one, I'd like to know if it's even possible, and if not, why not? I've been reading some how-tos on Knoppix remastering, and they look pretty involved, and I'd rather avoid spending days figuring them out, if there is already such a custom Knoppix reiser4 cd available somewhere.

    Thanks,
    wrc1944

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    Little bump, as I also would like to see a 2.6 kernel with reiser4 knoppix CD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    3
    Well, I haven't located a knoppix reiser4 yet, and don't think there is one. The more I read the remastering and custom Knoppix kernel articles, the more difficult it seems. I suppose once the namesys guys actually release reiser4 final, we'll start seeing some Knoppix-like live-cds released.

    If Redeeman would include wvdial and ppp support and a Gentoo stage one or two on his reiser4 live-cd, my problems would be solved. I still haven't figured out how to make a working reiser4 customized live-cd myself, but will keep working on it.

    And, I still can't understand why his live-cd doesn't see my reiser3 partitions.

    wrc1944

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Florida
    Posts
    3
    I think this may be what I was talking about. I am concerned that while it has reiser4progs, it doesn't seem to have libaal. Would that matter?

    http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=1074

    http://kanotix.com/files/kanotix/kanotix-packages.html

    Any comments on this, or anyone have experience with this live-cd?

    Thanks,
    wrc1944

Similar Threads

  1. cluster knoppix: '/proc/hpc not exist'??
    By antec in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 07:08 PM
  2. file:/mnt/floppy does not exist
    By flebber in forum General Support
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
  3. TTY2->5 don't exist
    By rabinhood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 09:27 AM
  4. Does Lyx really exist on the cd version?
    By Rob_S in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 03:17 PM
  5. Does this exist?
    By rtcary in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 06:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00