-
Can't See WiFi Card
I have a HDD install of Knoppix on a Compaq Presario laptop. Everything has been doing just fine, but when I put in a linksys card to connect to my router, nothing happens. So I restarted and watched but could not see it recognizing the card. I saw some of the other posts about net card config and stuff but it just says that it can't find the card. I am sure this is pretty standard, a Linksys 802.11 b card. Can anyone help me?
-
Have you tried Wavelan configuration under Network/Internet from the Knoppix menu?
-
I've had luck first running PPPoE config, which gets my green light on the card to turn on. Next I run wlcardconfig, entering only my SSID (network name), and then my encryption key (9 or 10 digit number I have already assigned). The rest of the settings I am able to get away with leaving blank.
After I do that, I'm able to see the internet from my laptop over my wireless network.
Sorry about the non technical reply, but I'm pretty much a newbie.
Jerry
-
Open a terminal and then
Note the interface by running iwconfig most likely it should be either eth1 or eth0. Once you have noted that then
su
<type root passwd>
iwconfig ethX essid <networkname> key <wepkey>
Try ping www.knopppix.net if that returns response you are set. Otherwise try
ifconfig up
That should work. replace ethX with whatever interface iwconfig command reports as the wifi enabled for linksys (eth0 or eth1). If that does not work, replace ethX with wifi0 (Normally iwconfig reports two interfaces as wifi enabled, I don't know why that happens) and repeat the above steps.
exit su
I got myself pretty much by trial and error of all the permutation and combination.
Similar Threads
-
By Jameson in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-07-2005, 10:05 PM
-
By Yojimbo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 11:23 PM
-
By boorish in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-05-2004, 03:28 AM
-
By jacksonon in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 12:30 AM
-
By redeagle in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A
$34.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520
$29.99

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD
$13.00

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU
$50.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

2 x SanDisk Plus SDSSDA 2.5" 240GB Solid State Drive
$29.50