Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't See WiFi Card

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MI
    Posts
    6

    Can't See WiFi Card

    I have a HDD install of Knoppix on a Compaq Presario laptop. Everything has been doing just fine, but when I put in a linksys card to connect to my router, nothing happens. So I restarted and watched but could not see it recognizing the card. I saw some of the other posts about net card config and stuff but it just says that it can't find the card. I am sure this is pretty standard, a Linksys 802.11 b card. Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    93
    Have you tried Wavelan configuration under Network/Internet from the Knoppix menu?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I've had luck first running PPPoE config, which gets my green light on the card to turn on. Next I run wlcardconfig, entering only my SSID (network name), and then my encryption key (9 or 10 digit number I have already assigned). The rest of the settings I am able to get away with leaving blank.
    After I do that, I'm able to see the internet from my laptop over my wireless network.

    Sorry about the non technical reply, but I'm pretty much a newbie.

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Open a terminal and then
    Note the interface by running iwconfig most likely it should be either eth1 or eth0. Once you have noted that then

    su
    <type root passwd>
    iwconfig ethX essid <networkname> key <wepkey>
    Try ping www.knopppix.net if that returns response you are set. Otherwise try
    ifconfig up

    That should work. replace ethX with whatever interface iwconfig command reports as the wifi enabled for linksys (eth0 or eth1). If that does not work, replace ethX with wifi0 (Normally iwconfig reports two interfaces as wifi enabled, I don't know why that happens) and repeat the above steps.

    exit su

    I got myself pretty much by trial and error of all the permutation and combination.

Similar Threads

  1. Internel WiFi Card
    By Jameson in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 10:05 PM
  2. Internal WiFi Card Help, WNC 802.11b USB300
    By Yojimbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 11:23 PM
  3. USB WiFi Card?
    By boorish in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 03:28 AM
  4. Will my wifi card work?
    By jacksonon in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 12:30 AM
  5. wifi card help
    By redeagle in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$600.00



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW picture

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW

$399.99



Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams picture

Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams

$95.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99