Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Very cool start-up/shut-down sound

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10

    Very cool start-up/shut-down sound

    I just got Knoppix to work with my sound card, Creative Audigy 2. That was the coolest thing, hearing the female voice saying "Initializing startup sequence, and Initializing shut-down sequence" or something like that. Is that a Knoppix thing, or an Alsa thing? I used the cheat code to get alsa working.

    I would like to get alsa working without a cheat code. I think it has to be added to the kernel as a module, but could someone point me in the right direction for doing that? I remember something about typing in "make" in a console once when i was fooling around with Mandrake.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    well its nice to know someone likes the voice. I personally am sick of hearing it but thats just me. Also I think that the voice is a knoppix thing though I'm pretty sure you could do it on just about anyone linux computer and have it play just about any sound file.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: Very cool start-up/shut-down sound

    Quote Originally Posted by linda
    That was the collest thing, hearing the female voice saying "Initializing startup sequence, and Initializing shut-down sequence" or something like that.
    I like it too. Unfortunately, I am working with the 2.6 kernel, which doesn't have it. Otherwise, it's a Knoppix thing (been around since at least v.3.2, which is when I joined this party)

    JD

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Linda,

    I think its a "knoppix" thing....

    But, I am sure, you can change it, either through a setting, or by naming a sound file the same as the one it expects...

    I have "always" been a collector of sound clips, my best setup was for my Windows95/98 system... Considering the amount of time it took for the system to boot, I had the Alan Sheppard "moon" quote: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", and when I was shutting down, I used the movie quote from Aliens: "Game over man, Game over"

    Just some thoughts,
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10
    Could you tell me the name of the files, and where they are? That way if I want to change it, I can.. or if I want to try a different Linux distro, I can still use it. It reminds me of Xenosaga

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Linda,

    The "Initiating Startup Sequence" sound can be found at /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg
    and the "Initiating Shutdown Sequence" sound can be found at /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.ogg

    Also, the "music" that is played after the above "voice" can be found at the same location, but the files are called:

    KDE_Startup.wav and KDE_Logout.wav

    Tons of sounds can be found if you type: locate *.wav in a console window (click on the little icon on the bottom of the screen that looks like a monitor with a clam shell in front of it). To exit from this screen/window, just type: exit and it should close.

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thank you Ms Cuddles! I was wondering if my trivial question would get a reply! I'm new to Linux, and I guess ogg files are music files. Glad you told me!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Unfortunately, I am working with the 2.6 kernel, which doesn't have it.
    Knoppix 3.4-2004-05-17-EN definitely has it, even running the 2.6 kernel! But when you do a Debian-type install, it no longer plays when KDE starts (thank goodness).

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Well, what I meant was that if you run the live CD from a knoppix26 boot prompt, it doesn't play the sounds by default, as it does when booting the default 2.4 kernel without any boot prompt.

    I had assumed that it was on the disk somewhere. On the bug wiki for 2004-05-10, Fabian said something about linux tag not wanting to pay for the rights any more. Odd, that in this open source alternative reality where linux thrives, where people give away several-hundred megabyte software for free, you'd think that they could find someone to volunteer to record six simple words for free.

    JD

  10. #10

    how do you get the startup sound in Devian install

    Does anybody know how to get the startup sound back after installing Knoppix onto your hard drive (Debian mode I think)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. where to get the knoppix start sound
    By vipIII in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2005, 11:44 PM
  2. unmouting after shut down
    By serventofshelob in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 04:19 AM
  3. Start Up and Shut Down
    By renaxgade in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 10:59 PM
  4. PC does not shut down
    By Eradicator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 01:58 PM
  5. Cannot get computer to shut down
    By PapaNoHair in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New  picture

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New

$1049.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99