-
Trying to repair Windows XP Pro with Knoppix 3.4
My Windows XP Pro won't boot due to a corrupt ntfs.sys file.
I have downloaded and created a Knoppix 3.4 CDROM which boots into Linux fine. However, I cannot delete the
\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
file on /dev/hda1 in order to replace it with a fresh file from floppy.
Checking the /dev/hda1 permissions folder I unchecked the Read Only box in the permissions/device tab without success.
How can I delete the file successfuly and copy the new file across from the floppy please?
kind regards,
Graham
-
Junior Member
registered user
Unless something has changed KNOPPIX can not safely write to a NTFS system.
-
Junior Member
registered user
On the live cd, go to the K menu, Knoppix, then Utilities. In the final menu is the Captive NTFS program, which after configuration lets you write to and modify NTFS partitions. Just follow the setup procedure, then mount the harddrive, and copy the file! Have Fun!
-
Re: Trying to repair Windows XP Pro with Knoppix 3.4

Originally Posted by
Graham Nichols
My Windows XP Pro won't boot due to a corrupt ntfs.sys file.
I have downloaded and created a Knoppix 3.4 CDROM which boots into Linux fine. However, I cannot delete the
\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
file on /dev/hda1 in order to replace it with a fresh file from floppy.
Checking the /dev/hda1 permissions folder I unchecked the Read Only box in the permissions/device tab without success.
How can I delete the file successfuly and copy the new file across from the floppy please?
kind regards,
Graham
Are you the guy from FC? Your problem sounds VERY familiar.
-

Originally Posted by
coindood
On the live cd, go to the K menu, Knoppix, then Utilities. In the final menu is the Captive NTFS program, which after configuration lets you write to and modify NTFS partitions. Just follow the setup procedure, then mount the harddrive, and copy the file! Have Fun!
Thanks for the suggestion but the Captive NTFS procedure just froze my machine
I re-tried with showing it a fresh ntfs.sys file on the floppy, rather than try and load the existing dodgy hard drive verson but no. Looks like I'm hosed.
-
Re: Trying to repair Windows XP Pro with Knoppix 3.4

Originally Posted by
bullgoose
Are you the guy from FC? Your problem sounds VERY familiar.
I don't know what FC stands for, but my initial posting was my first anywere. Looks like someone else is having the same fun as me. I hope they are doing better than I am right now.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The captive-ntfs driver uses the windows ntfs.sys driver to read/write to ntfs partitions. If that file was corrupted in the first place, then captive-ntfs would be using the same corrupted driver. If you have an XP cd lying around, I'd suggest you boot into that cd, and run the repair console to fix it. If the repair console won't allow you to access the system (it should, since it has its own drivers for accessing the ntfs filesystem), your option would most likely be to use any live cd with captive-ntfs built-in, and open a console as root and type: Somewhere in there is a link to download the service pack which contains an updated ntfs.sys driver so you can use that and replace the corrupted ntfs.sys file once captive is working. I normally don't use linux tools to repair windows systems, but there are alternatives out there, i.e..... xp repair console installed on another partition, bart's winpe (bootable live xp cd), and some others I can't think of at the moment. Bart's winpe won't help you now as you need a running xp system to build it in the first place.
HTH,
Durand
-
After a lot of sweating it turned out to be a flakey memory stick. Back to the store tomorrow for that bugger. Still, I found out a little about Knoppix and will learn more as it looks really good.
Many thanks to those who offered possible remedies. Much appreciated guys.
best, Graham
Similar Threads
-
By alvey in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 16
Last Post: 01-10-2007, 02:02 AM
-
By Howitzer17 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 14
Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:57 AM
-
By MaldiGola in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
-
By khwong2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 04:46 AM
-
By FatBoy in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99