Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: static DNS problem !

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    static DNS problem !

    Ok, so I edit the reolv.conf, putting in my two DNS IP's and run the PPPOE config utility AFTER having done so.
    Here I click "no" when asked if the resolv.conf should be updated automatically....
    And still it updates the DNS's, which unables the connection..
    What am I doing wrong, is there a way round this ? So I wouldn't have to edit the resolv.conf every time I start up the machine..
    btw, I'm dual-booting with win2000.


  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    a dirty trick:
    as root:
    Code:
    chmod a-w /etc/resolv.conf
    this should probit writing to the file.
    Perhaps you get an errormessage from the program, which tries to write to the file, and can change that program instead.

    Please reply if it works.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    I tried the trick, found a link /etc/resolv.conf -> /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf and did the same to that file.

    DHCP broadcasting ... backgrounding when rebooting and when I check the reolv.conf it's got a local area IP.
    I'm on a homepna (pppoe) connection.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem assigning Static IP for cable internet URGENT!
    By cooldude_i2k in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 05:45 AM
  2. Static IP Help
    By hoy_128 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 03:37 AM
  3. Static IPs?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 12:18 AM
  4. Static IP is not static!
    By beecee in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
  5. problem with static ip
    By jaimefe in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36