-
Remaster :?: How to add app launcher to desktop or toolbar?
Trying to remaster my own version of Knoppix. I'm not a total Linux noob, but nowhere near expert status either. I've looked at the HowTo doc on remastering (thank you to whoever wrote it, btw), but I am not seeing anywhere if it's possible to create an icon on the Knoppix desktop or in the main toolbar that would be there by default when booting from the remastered CD.
What I want is to replace Mozilla with Mozilla Firefox (judging from other posts, this seems to be a fairly common goal), but I want the icon for Firefox either on the desktop or on the main toolbar.
My company brings in a "CyberCafe" (4 or 6 computers on a LAN) to industry conventions where attendees can sit down and check their web-based email or use OpenOffice apps if needed, etc. We've been using SuSE Linux up until now, but I thought it would be great to not need hard drives in these machines to avoid the potential of shipping damage to these drives. I'd much rather use a remastered Knoppix CD to power our CyberCafe computers.
Oh! One other thing: I need to alter the XF86 configuration because the onboard graphics (S3 KM133) blacks out. From what I've found online, I need to add the "Use Bios" "no" option into the graphics driver config. Can someone tell me how I would be able to do that when creating the remastered CD? Currently, without that option, Knoppix gets to the splash screen then goes black because the refresh rate isn't compatible.
We've got a convention coming up in a couple of weeks, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
-
Senior Member
registered user
This has always been the trickiest part of remastering for me. Often I wind up with missing kmenu entries, and icons in the kicker (taskbar) that do not work.
But the basic steps are to remaster in a chrooted X environment using the default configs in /etc/skel copied into a /home/knoppix. You can then adjust the desktop configuration as you see fit.
One thing in the latest batch of Knoppix's (that use KDE 3.2), is to make sure the /etc/skel/.local file is copied (along with many other .files)when /home/knoppix is generated at boot time by the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession script.
I've posted notes about tweaking KDE for remastering in the past, so you might find some more detailed instructions by searching the backtrail of my posts.
I also invite you to try out Overclockix 3.4 (original) which has both Firefox and Thunderbird. It may be what you're looking for, or it may be a better starting point as you remaster a Knoppix for your needs. Unfortunately, openoffice could not fit on this version.
I've got a V2 that does have openoffice, but my KDE configs have gone missing. I should get that patched up shortly though, once I finish moving.
-
Arkaine,
Thanks for the help! That gives me a much better idea of how to proceed. Thanks also for outlining some common pitfalls.
I'll probably try to remaster my own still (being the stubborn cuss I am). I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again,
Similar Threads
-
By murman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-09-2005, 09:02 PM
-
By adamnewton in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-09-2005, 01:39 PM
-
By jake5m in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-29-2003, 02:11 PM
-
By New Guy in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-04-2003, 11:01 PM
-
By in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99