Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Compilation problems under HDD install of Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    5

    Compilation problems under HDD install of Knoppix

    Right - I'm always very careful to search before I ask, and I've done so as best I can, so I'm sorry if this has been answered before.

    Basically I've had to re-write my sources.list file to try to get apt-get working, and I can't install anything because I have dependancy problems - Ie the mirrors I've managed to get working (Not many!) Don't have the packages I'm after. For example - I've been trying for days to get MPlayer installed. I can't apt-get install it because it tells me there are packages that I can't install. libavcodecs is one of these packages that I can't find anywhere. OK I say, I'll try and find it myself. So off I go to find MPlayer, and come across a Gzip archive. I extract it into a folder using gzip and tar, and run ./configure.

    Everything seems to configure fine. I try to run a make, and it all goes boobs up.

    It tells me that it can't find linux/errno.h in errno.h. :\

    I look in the errno.h source in /usr/include/bits/errno.h and sure enough, there is a line that says #include <linux/errno.h>. I'm not a complete stranger to c, so know bits and pieces, and can't see why it would need to include itself. Is this to do with symbolic links? Do I need to create one? Also, I've used apt-setup to configure my sources.list file, but of course uk.debian.org doesn't have the above library packages!

    Also while I'm thinking about it, knoppix will only let me view resolutions up to 1024x768. Is there a way I can increase this to let me view in 1280x1024? I've seen a number of solutions, but I was wondering if there was a definative config file that I can edit, perhaps in etc/X11?

    Can anybody give me a hint on the above? If I can be helped with this little issue I'll be well on my way!

    Thanks

    Karl.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    Sources.list file I use to grab many multimedia apps, of which I highly rate kaffiene.

    Code:
    # Security updates for "stable"
    deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
    
    # Stable
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Stable Sources
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Testing
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Testing Sources
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Unstable
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    # Unstable Sources
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    
    ##RAREWARES MAIN (libvorbis, lame, lame-ha, lame-cvs, lamip, cue2toc, shntool)
    deb http://www.rarewares.org/debian/packages/unstable ./
    
    ##RAREWARES AAC/MP4 (faad2, faac, aac/mp4 playback plugins)
    deb http://pessoal.onda.com.br/rjamorim/debian/ ./
    
    # OpenOfice.org Debian Repository
    deb http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/debian-openoffice/ unstable main contrib
    
    # MARILLAT (lame, transcode, mplayer, w32codecs, etc.)
    # deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ stable main
    deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
    deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
    deb-src http://perso.wanadoo.fr/debian/ unstable main
    
    # giFT
    deb http://apt.cerkinfo.be/ unstable main non-free
    deb-src http://apt.cerkinfo.be/ unstable main non-free

    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is the file that holds the answers to your display question. But be warned, know what you are changing before you do.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    This file doesn't include itself:
    /usr/include/bits/errno.h
    linux/errno.h
    linux/errno.h should be the errno.h of your kernel, which is normally in:
    Code:
    /usr/src/linux-2.x.y/include/linux/errno.h
    Try
    Code:
    locate linux/errno.h
    to find out, where your kernel-sources are.

    Perhaps you installed without kernel-sources, or the configuration-script didn't find them. If you're familar with gcc, you may tell 'configure' where to look for additional Include-dirs. './configure --help' shows possible options.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    5
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful. Somehow I've lost the symbolic link to my kernel source. Next job is to work out how to re-create it. I'll let you know how I get on, and if this fixes the problem.

    Karl.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.5 /usr/src/linux
    i.e.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    5
    OK thanks to "User unknown " I've re-established a correct symbolic link. I am now faced with the error below when I run a configure.

    configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

    I look in the config.log and find:

    configure:2923: gcc -c -g -O2 conftest.c >&5
    conftest.c:2: error: parse error before "me"
    configure: failed program was:
    | #ifndef __cplusplus
    | choke me
    | #endif
    configure:3037: checking dependency style of gcc
    configure:3120: result: gcc3
    configure:3139: checking for strerror in -lcposix
    configure:3170: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.c -lcposix >&5
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcposix
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    configure:3173: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    | #line 3146 "configure"
    | /* confdefs.h. */
    |
    | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
    | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
    | #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
    | #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
    | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
    | #define XINE_MAJOR 1
    | #define XINE_MINOR 0
    | #define XINE_SUB 0
    | #define PACKAGE "xine-lib"
    | #define VERSION "1-rc4a"
    | /* end confdefs.h. */
    |
    | /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error. */
    | #ifdef __cplusplus
    | extern "C"
    | #endif
    | /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    | builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply. */
    | char strerror ();
    | int
    | main ()
    | {
    | strerror ();
    | ;
    | return 0;
    | }

    I think the rest buggered up as a result of the above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Well, when I run:
    Code:
    cat choke.c
    
    #ifndef __cplusplus
    choke me
    #endif 
    
    gcc -c choke.c 
    parse error before 'me'
    
    //but when I run
    g++ -c choke.c
    everything is fine.

    Hm.
    I guess 'configure' should know whether you shall compile with 'g++' or 'gcc', and '*.c' normally indicates gcc, while g++ uses '*.cc'-files.

    Did you manipulate some globale CC-Variables?

    /lib/cpp is a symbolic link again on my system, to -> /usr/bin/cpp-3.3
    and
    /lib/cpp --version says:
    cpp (GCC) 3.3.2 (Debian)

    Hm.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    5
    I reckon I've buggered something up, so I might back up onto my larger hdd and start again. It'll only take about half an hour, but it means that things will be a bit easier to see. I've stuck a few unstable sources in my list file which might be why, mplayer crashes on startup and so on. Thanks for all the help guys, I tend to break things and learn from my mistakes.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix / Debian Kernel compilation
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
  2. compilation error
    By pc3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 10:44 PM
  3. compilation problems
    By knoppy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 09:34 PM
  4. Compilation failure.
    By Li0nheart in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 12:42 AM
  5. Reiserfs and kernel compilation
    By mordor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD

$25.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90