View Poll Results: Are you using KNOPPIX as a compiler platform?
- Voters
- 3. You may not vote on this poll
-
yes with g++ as student in high school or college
-
yes with javac as student in high school or college
-
yes with other as student in high school or college
-
yes with g++ as teacher or professor
-
yes with javac as teacher or professor
-
yes with other as teacher or professor
-
nope, what's a compiler?
-
Senior Member
registered user
java SDK 1.4.1 from www.sun.com
I started evaluating KNOPPIX iso's about a year ago with an eye toward using it to teach Java in AP Computer Science next year. At that time KNOPPIX was still not very user friendly (root access to use /mnt/floppy, etc) but it already showed a lot of promiss (2GB of apps due to on the fly decompression, auto detection, etc) so I kept my BigSlack Slackware Linux install to teach C++ (GCC g++).
Also, KNOPPIX had Java JRE (for the browser) but not SDK (software developers' kit). I suggested to Klaus to add it in and I thought he hadn't. I could only compile a console app (no applet for the web or graphics) with GCC's gcj.
Just for fun, I decided to write a HelloWorldApp.java (console app) and try javac. I was able to compile it to HelloWorldApp.class and interpret it with java HelloWorldApp. This much I was able to do with gcj, but now I used javac and everything worked.
OK, so I tried an applet. I wrote HelloWorld.java (an applet, not a console app) importing java.applet.* and java.awt.* just to see what would happen. Well, I compiled this file with javac HelloWorld.java and had no error (this never worked before) and got HelloWorld.class.
Now, I tried appletviewer HelloWorld.class and got a pile of errors, but eventually got the applet running. I then wrote a Hello.html file with the applet tag. When I clicked on Hello.html from the desktop folder, lo and behold, Konqueror ran it fine!
Did I miss something here? Did Klauss add the SDK without telling anyone? When did this happen? All I know is none of this applet stuff worked with the July iso, but I was using the november one today (v3.1-2002-11-08-EN) and it was glorious!
Thanx Klaus!
-
Senior Member
registered user
OOPs, I cannot compile applets with the Nov 2002 iso! A caring soul from the Netherlands remastered me a copy of the Oct 2002 iso where he added the SDK and mailed me a copy of his CD. I was using his when I got applets to work! Thanx Andrej.
Anyway, his CD is perfect for my Java class next year. I don't have the facilities to remaster my own KNOPPIX CD, I wish.... So the question is how do I make an iso out of his CD so I can make multiple copies?
Thanx,
Similar Threads
-
By drews in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 03:45 PM
-
By mystical_kakarot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:20 PM
-
By Kethinov in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-03-2003, 05:46 PM
-
By JAlvoeiro in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 09:43 PM
-
By johncarlson21 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-22-2003, 03:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00