-
Removing unwanted files in Knoppix
Hello to everyone
I am new to this forum to Linux and Knoppix.
If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.
I have a couple questions which I am not sure I totally understand the answer to which I have found on the search's which I have done. Therefore I am not to sure of my footing before I attempt to do anything.
I have Knoppix 3.3 installed on the hard drive as the only OS and would like to remove some of the programs, app or anything which I don't need.
First Question:
What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?
Also, please advise as to the easiest way of removing the extras.
Second Question:
When logged in as root verses logged in as user there are different icons placed on the kicker and when I changed the mouse pointers logged in as root vs logged as Knoppix user the pointers are different eventhough the setting are the same.
Thanks for any advice.
Dooley
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Removing unwanted files in Knoppix

Originally Posted by
Dooley
Hello to everyone
I am new to this forum to Linux and Knoppix.
If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.
I reckon this would go under the General support forum.
First Question:
What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?
Now that's a broad question.
When you use apt it will tell you everythinhg it's going to remove, it will usually warn you about anything serious like
Code:
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!
Also, please advise as to the easiest way of removing the extras.
apt-get update
apt-get remove (application)
OR fire up Synaptic a very nice and easy to use package manager.
Second Question:
When logged in as root
You should almost never need to log in as root. This is a true multi-user system unlike weendoze where you have to be user or admin - you can simply become root or execute commands AS root with sudo.
-
Re: Removing unwanted files in Knoppix

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi

Originally Posted by
Dooley
Hello to everyone
I am new to this forum to Linux and Knoppix.
If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.
I reckon this would go under the General support forum.
First Question:
What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?
Now that's a broad question.

When you use apt it will tell you everythinhg it's going to remove, it will usually warn you about anything serious like
Code:
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!
Also, please advise as to the easiest way of removing the extras.
apt-get update
apt-get remove (application)
OR fire up Synaptic a very nice and easy to use package manager.
Second Question:
When logged in as root
You should almost never need to log in as root. This is a true multi-user system unlike weendoze where you have to be user or admin - you can simply become root or execute commands AS root with sudo.
Thanks for you reply.
I will try to use the proper foum in the future.
As one which has been on a Windows system since 3.1 and not being familiar with LINUX at all I might be well advised to learn a lot more before I attempt anything a drastic as removing anything.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Go ahead and try out synaptic. You likely won't hurt anything. Just avoid removing libraries and such unless apt wants to do it. You can usually remove virtually any application you don't want/need. I did see some recent problems w/ removing frozen-bubble but it was easily solved. The first thing I do is remove all of KDE with one simple command:
Code:
apt-get remove libarts1
apt then tells me it will remove a whole bunch of stuff and it does so without problems.
Don't want qtparted? Use Synaptic, select it, click 'Remove' and then 'Apply. Synaptic tells you each step of the way what it's doing or about to do.
Similar Threads
-
By jimbo-62 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 07:02 PM
-
By dawynn in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
-
By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By pinku in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 08:05 AM
-
By rrud in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM
$120.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00