Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: no network after hdd install using the debian option

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    no network after hdd install using the debian option

    I am new to linux so there must be something obvious I am missing. I install to hdd using the
    newbie option and everything works fine, so I tried to follow the instruction on
    godot.studentenweb.org to used the debian install option. But after rebooting the ethernet
    is not started. Can anyone help? Thanks.

    I am using a Fujitsu S6120 laptop and I am very happy the speedstep stuff is supported, so
    that there is no more annoying fan (which is what turned me off all other linux distributions because I don't know how to recompile kernell).

    Actually can someone tell me what the difference between the two options are?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: no network after hdd install using the debian option

    Quote Originally Posted by drevil
    I am new to linux so there must be something obvious I am missing. I install to hdd using the
    newbie option and everything works fine, so I tried to follow the instruction on
    godot.studentenweb.org to used the debian install option. But after rebooting the ethernet
    is not started. Can anyone help? Thanks.

    I am using a Fujitsu S6120 laptop and I am very happy the speedstep stuff is supported, so
    that there is no more annoying fan (which is what turned me off all other linux distributions because I don't know how to recompile kernell).

    Actually can someone tell me what the difference between the two options are?
    Dude......all that typing and you don't even bother to mention what NIC you have?! Anyway.....are the modules loaded?
    Code:
    lsmod
    I just might be able to tell you which modules they are if I had some clue as to what card you have.
    You can always try
    Code:
    pump
    and see if that brings it up. If so just add that to the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    the module it should be using is 8193too, but it shows up under lsmod as unused. How can
    I get it to be used?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    If the interface is there but doesn't have an i.p. try
    Code:
    pump
    I presume you get your i.p. via dhcp.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I've never used the beginner's option. When I install a dual-boot PC with Debian option, I always reboot without the CD right away. Then I login as root and edit /etc/lilo.conf to suit my boot order. I run lilo. Then I run netcardconfig. netcardconfig should intialize your eth0. If you use DHCP, the easiest option is to say yes and let netcardconfig terminate, then reboot.

    Regards,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    I had the same thing. Turns out all the required modules were loaded, you just have to initialize the setup. In the GUI menu choose:
    K->KNOPPIX->Network/Internet->Network card configuration
    It will prompt for administrator password, then it will run you through the setup (one question if you use DHCP)

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Anyone know how to setup a newly installed as debian PC to sleep the monitor after a given number of minutes of inactivity? Most of my hdinstalls do this, but some just stay on all the time!

    TIA,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. Install in external HD, but with cd boot option
    By daneel101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:20 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 05:03 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:00 PM
  4. Framebuffer option for Knoppix HD-Install
    By Kruemel in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 09:34 PM
  5. Package selection option for hd install
    By redsea2002 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 01:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93