-
Junior Member
registered user
Errors during boot.
Greetings.
I've installed Knoppix 3.4 to hard disk, and I'm getting some errors while booting.
They can be found highlighted here.
Strange though, that some errors don't appear in dmesg but appear while booting. That I can remember they were modprobe related.
I have an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe mobo, 512MB RAM, GeforceFX 5200.
I did some searching, but couldn't find anything related, or perhaps I'm using the wrong search keywords?
Thank you for your help.
--
Take Care.
-
Senior Member
registered user
first: sending the file as rtf is oversize - plain text would have done it.
second: you could have marked, what you guess is an error.
I found the following:
Code:
Error: only one processor found.
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
Perhaps you don't have more than one Processor?
Perhaps you don't have scsi?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Greetings.
My apologies. I did make it into an rtf file since I had the errors highlighted in word, and at the time I had no idea how to highlight the errors in plain text.
What program did you used to read the rtf? apparently the program you used didn't interpret the highlighted text made with word 2K.
What I'm going to do is to try and highlight somehow the "errors" in plain text and paste here just the errors since they are very few.
I only have one AMD 1900+ Processor and no SCSI devices.
Thank you.
--
Take care.
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK. I changed the dmesg to text. You can see it here.
The errors are "highlighted" with a <=== at the end of the line in the text file.
The "errors", or lines that draw my attention are:
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=304 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce <===it states as the language being "de" instead of "us"( any way to change that?) The hdX=scsi?
There are eight lines of ide_setup: hd(from A to H) =scsi
IO-APIC (apicid-pin) 2-0, 2-16, 2-17, 2-18, 2-19, 2-20, 2-21, 2-22, 2-23 not connected.
..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ... failed.
...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.
NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
NFORCE2: BIOS didn't set cable bits correctly. Enabling workaround.
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
Those are the error that appear so far in my dmesg. Some other errors appear at boot, but not in my dmesg.
Any ideas as to what can I do to resolve at least some of the errors?
Thank you.
--
Take care.
-
Senior Member
registered user
try the noscsi and nosmp cheatcodes. worked for me with same error.when the boot: line appears just type as below
boot:knoppix noscsi nosmp
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't know a good solution for logging the errors.
But a complicated workaround:
Doin't boot into X11, but to console (/etc/inittab: id:4:initdefault instead of id:5:...).
With Shift-PageUp you may scroll to the next page of messages.
Perhaps someone has a logfile-solution.
I don't know whether Ctrl-S (stop) and Ctrl-Q (resume) works during bootup, to stop the output. At least you may try.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thank you OErjan, I will try that. What does the nosmp cheatcode do? since I didn't find it listed on the cheatcodes table.
Thank you user unknown, I will do that, since I find a little bit cumbersome sometimes the graphical login.
Of the errors that I posted so far, I will see if using the cheat codes that OErjan suggested, doesn't give me at least some of the errors.
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=304 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce
Any ideas as to why the highlighted in blue defaults to DE instead of US?
Thank you.
--
Take care
-
Senior Member
registered user
Perhaps the knoppix-dvd/ cd/ iso was build for german users in the first place?
Or Dr. Knopper - being a german - want's to make the german language more popular? 
Since I allways had problems with other distros languages and german Umlauts under X11, and don't have with kn3.4, I'm comfortable with that decision
.
Perhaps most knoppix-users are germans?
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Junior Member
registered user
Greetings.
I found the syslog, where the messages that didn't appear in dmesg.
I posted here the syslog. The errors are too many to highlight, but searching for the following with the browser's find feature will be quicker.
Search for:
already loaded
timed out
error
failed
no such device
incorrect
invalid
Again, thank you for your help.
--
Take care.
Similar Threads
-
By tilleyrw in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-27-2005, 02:25 PM
-
By DunkyB in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
-
By Kastor in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:08 PM
-
By Hobbieman in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-23-2004, 05:58 PM
-
By frozt54 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99