It is set up to work that way- when you boot pass this to the kernel
screen=1600x1200
It's called a 'cheat code'
Go read the documentation on this site.
Knoppix starts up with a resolution of 1024x768 but I have a 20" monitor. When I looked at XF86Config-4 all the possible monitor settings were there up to 1600x1200 but the screen section maxed out at 1024x768. I think it would be a cool thing if all the possibile screen resolutions were available. I understand that the system should still default to 1024x768 to be on the safe side but it would be nice to have to press a couple key strokes to up the resolution instead of editing the config XF86Config file.
Just an idea.
It is set up to work that way- when you boot pass this to the kernel
screen=1600x1200
It's called a 'cheat code'
Go read the documentation on this site.
I tried that Cheat Code but it didn't work. Here's the thread in another forum asking for support on that:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...101&highlight=
And my point was we could skip that cheat code since Knoppix is smart enough to pick all the possible resolutions for my monitor, why not just take it the one extra step and make all those resolutions available in X.
The Resize and Rotate extension in the new Xfree86 4.3 should let people dynamically change their screen resolutions. From what I understand, KDE 3.1 anticipated this and already has the ability to use this feature in X 4.3. Since the next release of Knoppix will include KDE 3.1, it will hopefully be only a mater of time until X 4.3 makes it's way in.
hmm, speaking of XFree86 4.3, i've just ported a xrandr perl-gtk frontend to gtk2/c, as i've just included xfree4.3 in my own lill' project and needed a resolution changer for icewm and gnome2.2.
anyway, cvs and source-tarball at http://sourceforge.net/projects/morphix/ got a deb up on http://am.xs4all.nl/morphix just take care as i might have fscked up some dependancies
sometimes you just get bored (or frustrated at perl-gtk). Anyway, resolution-problems are a thing of the past (sortof
)
" why not just take it the one extra step and make all those resolutions available in X."
Ohhhhhhhhhhh ic
I read somewhere (can't remember) that it is possible to use some hotkeys maybe............ctl&+ & ctl&- <----just a guess I never tried it out. Anyone else seen this? Maybe I'm just losing it![]()
That's the first thing I tried. It still only went up to 1024x768. I looked at the XF86Config-4 file and 1024x768 was the max resolution setup in the screen section but the monitor section had resolutions up to 1600x1200. Also, the key strokes are actually Ctrl+Alt+(+/-).
so did you add your desired screen sizes to the monitor section?
I know you wanted automation but that's as close as it gets I guess.

Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested
$299.00
Macintosh Pascal Lowell Carmony Robert Holliday Vintage 1985 Apple Mac Tech Book
$25.00
Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00
Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$155.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested
$129.00
Inside Macintosh Promotional Edition Vintage Apple Developer Book 1985
$32.00
Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00