Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: how to force remove a half-installed package?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Have you tried this:
    Code:
    apt-get --reinstall remove --purge frozen-bubble-data frozen-bubble
    This command would reinstall it first then remove and purge it right afterwards.

    Let me know if it works or not.

    Durand

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by cronex2000
    Thanks all for replying.

    I tried what mzlilikazi said, doing
    touch /usr/games/frozen-bubble.wav,
    then
    apt-get remove --purge frozen-bubble frozen-bubble-data

    That does not work either. What it does is changing the name of frozen-bubble.wav to frozen-bubble
    Hmmm Did you execute that as root? If you read info touch it says:
    Any FILE that does not exist is created empty.
    You would need to use mv to change the name of the file. Does /usr/games/frozen-bubble.wav exist already?

    I can undestand why you would think apt a poor system when you have troubles like this but please don't think that this is what it's always like. This is a bug that has also been mentioned on the mailing list. The above post is how one individual fixed it.

    I think this is not technically an apt problem but rather just a missing file. I once deleted /var/backups/dpkg.status and had to copy it over from another system. Suddenly apt began telling me that I had certain packages installed when I did not.
    I *think* apt is simply doing what is is supposed to.

    If you still can't get it to work you could join the mailing list. Someone there will try to help. apt really does work.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    12
    Hmmm Did you execute that as root? If you read...
    Oh, I know what I'm doing on this level. Not a kernel hacker, but definitely fluent on Linux. Been using Linux (mainly RH) for many years, developing apps on Linux on a daily basis and managing a few Linux servers at our company (all RH, again). We also have RH and mandrake dev stations (about 15).

    Our CVS server, bugzilla, web, email servers, dns, etc, all running on RH, and managed by myself. Since we are a small shop, old computers also become our firewall and gateway machines, also running RH Linux and OpenBSD.

    So, I know my Linux ok. I always heard apt is very nice, blah blah, but this one is driving me nut. I want to be well versed in Debian as well, and I want to learn all the tools on Debian the right way.

    Thanks for all the reply. I just install frozen-bubble and leave it as it is, eating up a whoppy 6.5MB of my HD and wait the next release that'll fix this hot potato.

    Now, I just need to get rid of other annoying stuffs as well

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    I have the exact same problem with frozen-bubble-data, it seems that there are two diferents packages with the same versions 10.0.4 in the apt sources and that gets dpkg confused.
    I sucesfully removed the f*cking frozen-bubble-data package with this command:
    # dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq frozen-bubble-data
    now i cant play frozen-bubble but apt works again
    Hope this helped you.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by cronex2000

    Thanks for all the reply. I just install frozen-bubble and leave it as it is, eating up a whoppy 6.5MB of my HD and wait the next release that'll fix this hot potato.

    Now, I just need to get rid of other annoying stuffs as well
    If I'm understanding this right, you are able to reinstall frozen bubble & apt is now a happy camper. If apt is now working, you could try upgrading frozen bubble then deleting it. Or try dpkg -P it which may now successfully remove it.

    Apt is a very convenient sytem & IMHO superior to rpm's....when it works!

    For removeing 'the other stuff' the easiest way is to make up a PurgeList & trash a lot in one go.
    apt-get remove `cat PurgeList1` (the ` is the character under the ~ key)
    Check with the remastering how-to. The PurgeList much be all one line (a space-separated list), not a CR separated list, and you can use wildcards ie apt-get remove frozen*.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    The PurgeList much be all one line (a space-separated list), not a CR separated list, and you can use wildcards ie apt-get remove frozen*.
    I beg to differ. A CR list works just fine.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    1.create a Frozen-bubble.wav in the /etc/games/ directory
    2.install the game....
    3. (optional) remove it

    it solved the problem on my system

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    The PurgeList much be all one line (a space-separated list), not a CR separated list, and you can use wildcards ie apt-get remove frozen*.
    I beg to differ. A CR list works just fine.
    OK, well sometimes it worked for me too.
    but, with a CR separated list, if apt-get tried to remove something it couldn't find, it just stopped. With a space separated list, it continued on. So I recommended a space separated list, it seems more reliable.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    [quote="Sol"]1.create a Frozen-bubble.wav in the /etc/games/ directory

    Sorry the file has to be created in the /usr/games directory

  10. #20
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Try this:
    Code:
    touch /usr/games/frozen-bubble.wav
    Then do apt-get remove frozen-bubble frozen-bubble-data

    this worked for me

    thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Half Life 2...
    By chris-harry in forum Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 11:01 AM
  2. IF i installed a package ..
    By Baby_Face in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 02:52 PM
  3. I've lost the drive I installed on, how to remove lilo?
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
  4. How can I uninstall the installed package?
    By Coorme in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 07:08 PM
  5. 1 package not fully installed or removed
    By c01100011 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 03:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested picture

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested

$129.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals

$450.00