Thanks for the tip on kpersonalizer, I hadn't come across that as of yet.

I wouldn't reccomend staying logged in and doing your daily work as root
-thanks for the flash of genius

As for logging in as root- it's the only way to get it to display english, and I actually knew not to habitually log in as root before I had ever even considered attempting to install Linux.

So why can't I log in as knoppix? Are you telling me that it's an impossibility or that it is just wrong?? At one point during install it asks for a password for knoppix so I gave it one (on all 5 installs BTW) so I indeed can log in as knoppix.

I've added users and still I'm in German.

If left to boot without intervention the cd boots in English. It's the right .iso.

So........if kpersonalizer won't fix it that's really gonna suck and just to make things more interesting it stops connecting to the internet AFTER install. It's common-I've seen the posts - I'm still working on that- being able to log in is more important- but that means I can't search while in knoppix. On the positive side I can boot in and out of Linux several times before my wife with her 1.something GHz 512MB IBM and Win2k can even get shut down!
I'm calling it a night. - gotta work <groan>