Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: What's the point in knoppix/beginner style hd-install?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26
    Well I do a beginner's install.. haven't tried a debian type of install.. I'm about to format and do the debian install, about the autologin thing.... the beginner's style doesnt do that

    Another thing.. the beginner install has done everything that debian could do for me.. so... well ill see what the difference is right now

    Also, what security problems are you talking about?

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by PROhan
    Well I do a beginner's install.. haven't tried a debian type of install.. I'm about to format and do the debian install, about the autologin thing.... the beginner's style doesnt do that

    Another thing.. the beginner install has done everything that debian could do for me.. so... well ill see what the difference is right now

    Also, what security problems are you talking about?
    Yeah, I seem to recall trying it once and finding it to be pretty much a debian-type install that just does the extra hw-detection stuff at every boot. I didn't really play with it long though. I think I still prefer the debian-style, if for nothing else, just because it boots faster.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26
    yeah... i just got done installing.. and umm... it's the same except for the autoconfiguring stuff in the beginning.

    So.....

    Also, it doesn't load any quicker

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    I don't really see the drama

    Took me 15 minutes to get knoppix 3.4 with 2.6.5 kernel installed, and up and running, and as secure as I needed.

    Boot time is really no different to any other 'full linux' distro that I have installed.

    (Apart from a problem/bug with Xine) everything works perfectly. This is the most productive install I have ever undertaken (as opposed to the tedious fiddling that one has to go through to get a standard Linux install 'just right')

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26
    yeah knoppix is definetely the most painless installl.. if you are a newbie the partitioning thing could sorta get you, but I honestly believe you shoulnd't use linux unless you understand partitioning or cant find out about it in another way

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Oips! Looks like I shouldn't have spoken too soon. If the beginner style install really gives a cleanish debian with hardware autodetection, by all means go for it if the boot time is reasonable.
    I thought it was some kind of variation of the knoppix style install
    I'd still go for the debian way, but that's just me.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by PROhan
    yeah knoppix is definetely the most painless installl.. if you are a newbie the partitioning thing could sorta get you, but I honestly believe you shoulnd't use linux unless you understand partitioning or cant find out about it in another way
    I use linux because I have the option of not touching the partition in anyway in linux.

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Quote Originally Posted by PROhan
    yeah knoppix is definetely the most painless installl.. if you are a newbie the partitioning thing could sorta get you, but I honestly believe you shoulnd't use linux unless you understand partitioning or cant find out about it in another way
    I use linux because I have the option of not touching the partition in anyway in linux.
    I don't know what that means

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Not sure, I had to re-read the post, to be sure, but, I think:

    yeah knoppix is definetely the most painless installl.. if you are a newbie the partitioning thing could sorta get you, but I honestly believe you shoulnd't use linux unless you understand partitioning or cant find out about it in another way
    I use linux because I have the option of not touching the partition in anyway in linux.
    Means, you don't have to mount the drive, if you don't want to, and add into this, you can mount it as read-only, write-only, or with read/write access - In Windows you have the option not to "mount" a device, but not much choice, speaking about Win98, myself, once a hard drive is "mounted", it can not be done with specific "options", R, W, or R/W - unless you do a global file/folder properties change, with attrib to set it to read only.

    If this is what you mean, then yes, the mount in Linux has a lot more options in protection - because you not only have the "mount" for drive protection, but also individual user protections.

    Not sure if I got that right, or not, but thats how I read it,
    Ms. Cuddles

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by PROhan
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Quote Originally Posted by PROhan
    yeah knoppix is definetely the most painless installl.. if you are a newbie the partitioning thing could sorta get you, but I honestly believe you shoulnd't use linux unless you understand partitioning or cant find out about it in another way
    I use linux because I have the option of not touching the partition in anyway in linux.
    I don't know what that means
    linux file system can be on any block device and partition is only one kind of block device but it needs not be. I can use a simple file on FAT/NTFS as the block device, or a read only file on CD-ROM/DVD, or a nfs mount or just a ram disk and the list can go on. So it is possible to have a diskless workstation with linux, but not Windows(well early days one does with some kind of DOS accessing Netware/Lanman share and launch 3.1).

    For modern day Windows, one needs to know about partition but just that it is shielded by the installation program, not so for linux.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. changing from a "beginner" style hd install to a d
    By ultimai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 03:38 AM
  2. How to get login prompt in Knoppix-style install?
    By thors_hammer123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 06:50 PM
  3. Beginner install of Knoppix 3.3
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 10:57 PM
  4. Difference between Beginner and Old Debian HD Install?
    By Jack_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 06:15 AM
  5. Remastering from "Knoppix" style hard disk install
    By Bukowski in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99