Looks like you installed in beginner or knoppix mode. If you install in debian mode you get all this.
i installed knoppix 3.4 on my second hard drive last night. After a reboot i was suprised to see that a) it did not ask me how to log in, as knoppix or root b) from a console when i type su it changes me to root without asking me for a password c)there are no other window managers installed other than kde?
![]()
Looks like you installed in beginner or knoppix mode. If you install in debian mode you get all this.
so if i try again and choose the " debian way " it will ask me for username and passwords and also it will install all the window managers?Originally Posted by Markus
Yes.
Hmm, short post.
Markus
First of all, yes, yes it was a short post...
And sorry about "piggy-backing" this topic, but it has interest to me, since I am going to be "upgrading" to the newer version (v3.4) in a short time...
I used knx-hdinstall to install Knoppix v3.3 onto my hard drive, is that still used, or, how does one "install" Knoppix v3.4 onto a hard drive, not in "beginner" mode, and in Debian???
Consider I am doing all of this ahead of time, Knoppix v3.4 is "sight-unseen" at the moment...
What I plan on doing is "shifting" my /home, fstab, and "global" documents to a second hard drive, gutting the v3.3 hard drive, and installing v3.4 on it, then, "re-shift" back the above from the second hard drive - does anyone else have better ideas, or will this work???
I would also like to make this "upgrade" as seamless as possible, so I want to figure out where my "bookmarks", "email", etc... are, and be sure to move those as well... Maybe someone can suggest a better way for the next "version upgrade" at this time. I wanted to do the "broken-up partition" idea, but no one ever suggested sizes, so I just went with the one partition idea, on v3.3
Again, sorry to piggy-back this thread, but it didn't make much sense to make a new one, when this one appears to be in the same "ball park".
Ms. Cuddles
Actually I haven't yet had a look at 3.4. Should probably download it today just to see it, thanks for reminding. I switched to kanotix a while back and couldn't be happier with it.
I don't think knx-hdinstall is any more on the 3.4. You could try knoppix-installer or knx2hd.
I tried shifting my separate home when going from knoppix to kanotix and had a great time trying to log into kde, solution was to just rename old user, create new one and moving over the stuff I wanted so new .files were created. You shouldn't have any trouble with most global files or the fstab. Your bookmarks are under ~.mozilla/somestrangedirectory. IIRC you use kmail, haven't used it as I prefer mozilla but you should find your mail under ~.kde somewhere. Can kmail export to a file and import later?
I have all my system under 1 partition. Yes I know, not very secure but I'm behind 2 firewalls here. If you're going to partition anew, /usr is where you need space, /tmp max 1 GB to be able to download isos if it caches there, /var is where apt/archives and stuff is saved so it will grow if you don't clean it. You could cd into a /directory and do "du -a|sort -n|tail" to find out how to divide your GBs.
Hmm, long post.

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99