Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Removing unwanted files in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9

    Removing unwanted files in Knoppix

    Hello to everyone
    I am new to this forum to Linux and Knoppix.
    If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.

    I have a couple questions which I am not sure I totally understand the answer to which I have found on the search's which I have done. Therefore I am not to sure of my footing before I attempt to do anything.

    I have Knoppix 3.3 installed on the hard drive as the only OS and would like to remove some of the programs, app or anything which I don't need.

    First Question:
    What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?
    Also, please advise as to the easiest way of removing the extras.

    Second Question:
    When logged in as root verses logged in as user there are different icons placed on the kicker and when I changed the mouse pointers logged in as root vs logged as Knoppix user the pointers are different eventhough the setting are the same.

    Thanks for any advice.
    Dooley

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Removing unwanted files in Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley
    Hello to everyone
    I am new to this forum to Linux and Knoppix.
    If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.
    I reckon this would go under the General support forum.


    First Question:
    What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?
    Now that's a broad question. When you use apt it will tell you everythinhg it's going to remove, it will usually warn you about anything serious like
    Code:
    You are about to do something potentially harmful
    To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!
    Also, please advise as to the easiest way of removing the extras.
    apt-get update
    apt-get remove (application)

    OR fire up Synaptic a very nice and easy to use package manager.

    Second Question:
    When logged in as root
    You should almost never need to log in as root. This is a true multi-user system unlike weendoze where you have to be user or admin - you can simply become root or execute commands AS root with sudo.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9

    Re: Removing unwanted files in Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley
    Hello to everyone
    I am new to this forum to Linux and Knoppix.
    If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.
    I reckon this would go under the General support forum.


    First Question:
    What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?
    Now that's a broad question. When you use apt it will tell you everythinhg it's going to remove, it will usually warn you about anything serious like
    Code:
    You are about to do something potentially harmful
    To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!
    Also, please advise as to the easiest way of removing the extras.
    apt-get update
    apt-get remove (application)

    OR fire up Synaptic a very nice and easy to use package manager.

    Second Question:
    When logged in as root
    You should almost never need to log in as root. This is a true multi-user system unlike weendoze where you have to be user or admin - you can simply become root or execute commands AS root with sudo.
    Thanks for you reply.
    I will try to use the proper foum in the future.

    As one which has been on a Windows system since 3.1 and not being familiar with LINUX at all I might be well advised to learn a lot more before I attempt anything a drastic as removing anything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Go ahead and try out synaptic. You likely won't hurt anything. Just avoid removing libraries and such unless apt wants to do it. You can usually remove virtually any application you don't want/need. I did see some recent problems w/ removing frozen-bubble but it was easily solved. The first thing I do is remove all of KDE with one simple command:
    Code:
    apt-get remove libarts1
    apt then tells me it will remove a whole bunch of stuff and it does so without problems.

    Don't want qtparted? Use Synaptic, select it, click 'Remove' and then 'Apply. Synaptic tells you each step of the way what it's doing or about to do.

Similar Threads

  1. Unwanted Desktop Icons Keep Appearing
    By jimbo-62 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 07:02 PM
  2. Removing Knoppix menus?
    By dawynn in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
  3. Removing without removing dependencies also
    By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
  4. How to remove unwanted components
    By pinku in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 08:05 AM
  5. monitor goes standby during work (unwanted)
    By rrud in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2003, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$139.99



fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray picture

fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray

$120.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73