I'm getting to love Knoppix and would like to be able to carry around a CD and an ext. USB hard drive with my data (I have a 256MB USB flash drive, but that's not enough storage). I have an old, cheap Genesys? USB 1 case with a 10GB 2.5" drive installed which I've used on Macs and Windows PCs, but the drive won't mount with Knoppix 3.3 or 3.4 with the 2.4 kernel. It will mount with the 2.6 kernel if only the usb-storage.o module is loaded, but if I load other modules Knoppix freezes while booting.
Is anyone out there sucessfully using with Knoppix 3.4 a case meeting the following:
- external USB
- bus-powered
- case for use with one's own 2.5" HD (I can't afford a whole new drive but have several loose 2.5" drives)?
If so, can you let me know the brand and model? (I don't want to boot from the HD, just mount it and transfer data.)
Alternately, any suggestions for getting the drive in my Genesys? (Gen641/Gen700) case to mount?
Many thanks.

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$1090.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5" /7 (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99
SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00